Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping fig hardy in Huntsville? (Zone 7)

Posted by Meadow_Lark 7 (NE Alabama) (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 14, 05 at 14:00

I have just purchased a couple of large wire topiary forms, and I would like to put them in my shade garden this coming spring.

I am thinking about creeping fig - but I'm not sure if it's hardy in Huntsville. Anybody know?

If I can't use creeping fig - can anyone recommend another "small-leafed" vine that's hardy in my area?

Thanks... Meadow Lark
"It's beginning to look a lot like CHRISTMAS..."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping fig hardy in Huntsville? (Zone 7)

• Posted by Josh z8a AL (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 16, 05 at 2:16

Meadowlark, not sure if Creeping Fig would be hardy in your area. Even in central AL it sometimes loses leaves and partially dies back unless against a house wall. Maybe would do fine in a protected entryway or porch.

Best evergreen I think would be a tiny-leaved Hedera helix cultivar. Also the English Ivy to me is easier to clip and covers faster as it sprouts new stems from almost every node. Keep your eye open at nurseries but you might find a nice one at grocery or box stores...I've picked up a few unusual ivies even at this time of year, some variegated, some turn burgundy in winter. Of course I never pass the plant shelves anywhere without looking! Good luck. josh

o

• Posted by rjbman Z-6 NE Ala (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 18, 05 at 10:14

I have creeping senility here in zone 6, does that count ?

RJ

o

Meadow Lark, Ficus pumila would be border line in our area. I've seen it in a few locations, micro-climate kind of sites. And it doesn't really thrive, just lingers. And as Josh mentions, it is given more protection if grown on a wall (which is where I've seen it). Do you have an unheated porch or similar area where you could store the topiaries for the winter?

F. pumila can also be grown as an indoor plant, if given plenty of light and coolish temperatures. (It would thrive in my home, as we keep the thermostat waaayyy down!)

o

• Posted by Nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 20, 05 at 20:57

Without knowing the size/shape of the topiary, how unheard of would it be to use cotoneaster, particularly 'Streibs Findling'? Just a thought...

Merry Christmas!

Nelson

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotoneaster 'Streibs Findling'

o
reply from meadow lark: creeping fig hardy in huntsville? (zone 7

Nelson,

LOVE THE PLANT you suggested. I'm going to look into using it!

THANKS! Meadow Lark

o

It doesn't look to me like that cotoneaster would grow up a frame...do you intend to stuff it with moss and plant it directly? I would stick with the ivy. My creeping fig either sulks or dies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here