Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morel Mushrooms ?

Posted by kathyinalabama 7b Montevallo (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 07 at 15:13

Hello,
Just wondering if Morel Mushrooms can be found growing in Alabama, and if so, what areas? Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morel Mushrooms ?

Kathy, I'm almost 60 y/o. I tramped all over Jefferson and Shelby counties when I was growing up while hunting. This was back in the days when northern and eastern Jefferson county was mostly woods and fields, Hwy 280 was a winding 2 lane road and almost all of Shelby county was like Oak Mountain park. I don't ever remember seeing anything which even resembled a morel mushroom. The website: http://thegreatmorel.com/faq.html#q1 tells us:QUESTION: Do morels grow in my region of the United States? ANSWER:This is an often-asked question and with the exception of a few geographical areas, the answer is more than likely -yes. However, while it seems the Great Lakes region in the midwest is the hot bed for the morel, the morels are found in most regions of the US with the exception of the desert and deep southern coastal areas. The Great Morel suggests that you contact your area's nature and wildlife department for assistance as an added information source.

o

Hey, Kathy! There's a North Alabama Mushroom Society...or at least there was. ;-) They used to meet at the botanical garden.

o

Thanks for your replies. Any idea what month is best to look for them?

o

like tsmith, I tramped over the woods & swamps of Lee Co. for a quarter-century and never saw or heard of a morel, until I went to grad school in MO. I can't say that they don't exist in AL, but you may have to settle for some good ol' puffballs, if you're looking to harvest 'wild' mushrooms.

o

I found a small Morel mushroom a couple of days ago while doing some landscaping in a wooded area near my house here in NE Alabama. So it's apparent that some do grow here. From what little I know of them I would think that the month of April is good to start looking for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Mountain Man Outdoors

o

Beware of FALSE Morels (which are not hollow) as they are poisonous.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Music

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here