Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Location of plant swaps?

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 18:08

Last summer the North Alabama plant swap was a far cry from North. Since I am close to the Tennessee line I wonder if there are any plant swaps way up here? Maybe Tennessee would be a better place to look. I retired this fall and hope to be able to actually have a gardening life now!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Location of plant swaps?

Last Fall, we decided to have separate swaps for North Alabama and South Alabama so we can have them where more people can get to them without having to drive too far. I'm with you about having the No AL one farther North. We went to Windy Creek from Gadsden for the Fall swap, but it was a long drive. The Spring one was in Gadsden, which, of course, was nice for us. Suggestions anyone? It's never too early to start thinking about it.

Alice

o

I don't mind driving....just has to be on the 2nd or 4th weekend for me to go..oh and GOOD directions....LOL We found out that GPS isn't always correct..LOL
Jody

o

Lake Guntersville State Park is a very nice place.

o

"Lake Guntersville State Park is a very nice place." Only 1 hour away for me.

o

About 6 hours from me but worth the drive. I love the place. Great for a short vacation.

o

I live near the TN/AL line too. This webpage is all about the one I go to every spring and fall in TN
Jennifer
http://www.midtnplantswap.com/

o

Lake Guntersville will be good for me. When will you guys know for sure? I will get some extra plants started as soon as a place and date are set.

o

Another vote here for Guntersville. There are several beautiful locations there and it's a pretty drive from any direction. I'm sure madabouteu will like the idea, too.

o

As long as the two swaps are not on the same weekend I am all for Lake Guntersville. May even make a weekend out of it.

o

There are tons of oak leaf hydrangeas in the woods at Guntersville. You know how hard it is for me not to dig one up. lol Do not want to get arrested.

o

plantcrazy: We'll keep an eye on you but if you do get in trouble we'll come bail you out. ;-)

o

If you go to my facebook page (Jody Mauldin-Morgan)and go to my wall you will see a couple list of seeds I have planted..or if you would have friend-ed me on FB.. you would have seen that list...( catbird)...LOL LOL LOL LOL, can't go on the 1st weekend if I'm to go...

o

Thanks catbird. I always see a ton of oakleaf and other native plants on land I can't dig on. :-(

o

How does April 16th look for everyone? I can't come on the 23rd or the 30th. Any other time is OK as far as I know. Alice

o

April 16 is good for me, although it is during the BBG Fiesta sale.

o

Is April 16th the 2nd or 4th weekend? Frog hollow lady (Jody)can't come unless it is.

o

April the 16th is the 3rd weekend.

o

So who's in charge of all the details? :-)

o

How about May, 7th, first Saturday in May?

o

April is great for me...its a 3 1/2 hour drive so I'll need to plan ahead...

o

May 7 is OK for me. How 'bout the rest of you? Of course, we'll never find a date that's perfect for everyone, so we'll just have to find the one that suits the most people.

rhizo_1: No one's in charge. We'll just kick ideas around till something sticks. When we decide on a time and place, someone will volunteer to secure the location. madabouteu and I did it last year because the group decided to come to Gadsden where we live.

o

May 7th or April 16th sounds good. Want to take a vote folks?

o

Either one works for me. Do we need to start a new thread to let everyone know we're looking for a vote?

o

Might be a good idea catbird.

o

Just can not be Ma 14th weekend or I will not be able to attend.

o

Sorry I'm just now weighing in, but the April date is better than May 7 for me. May 7 is a huge weekend for state soccer tournament and also graduation weekend at UAH. I hope to join you if it's in April. I don't have a lot to share but do have a few things. Gave away a bunch of DL's, echinacea and some other stuff to a friend re-doing her backyard last year, but I'm sure I can come up with a few things if I start early enough.

BTW you can use the State Park pavilion I think for a small fee which has bathrooms and picnic tables.

o

April 16 is better for me, also.

o

If someone gets there early enough we can set up at a picnic table free. But trying to tell you which one ahead of time could be a problem. I will see which pavilion we can rent. If cheap enough I will pay for it. Once we decide the date let me know so I can make my camping reservations and check on a pavilion rental.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here