Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhighlandhome

Devastating news about Terry.....

ourhighlandhome
13 years ago

I don't know how many folks received this notice, so I'm posting it here. I just read it myself and am stunned...

Good Afternoon,

My name is Robyn, I am Terry's daughter. It is with a very heavy heart that I am writing to let you know that he passed away last night.

He had surgery on Monday, and seemed to be recovering really well, but on Tuesday afternoon, he took a turn for the worse and the doctors were unable to figure out what was causing his downhill turn and how to reverse it.

We have just gotten back from making his arrangements and I wanted to write and let you know what they are.

Visitation is Friday from 5-7 p.m. @ People's Funeral Home on Brooklane in Hueytown

Services are Saturday morning at 10 a.m. in the chapel at People's with burial services @ Forest Grove in Pleasant Grove to follow.

I would appreciate it if you could pass the word along to any of the GardenWeb buddies that he knew.

This was a very sudden loss for us and we will miss him dearly.

Thank you,

Robyn Willis

205-383-5321 cell

205-664-3802 home

mom42girls@gmail.com

Comments (18)

• plantaholic
    13 years ago

he will certainly be missed on the alabama gardening forum.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

This is so very sad. Yes, he will be missed.

• catbird
    13 years ago

Robyn: Thanks for letting us know. I've thought of him often this week and wondered how he was. The news is truly devastating and our condolences go to his family.

• daffodillady
    13 years ago

Terry was a kind, generous man. My heart is heavy to hear of his passing.

• tedevore
    13 years ago

Terry Smith. A great friend, and a first class person and gardener.

{{gwi:369675}}

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

Thanks tedevore for posting Terry's picture. I regret that I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but he was still a good friend that exchanged emails & shared funny stuff from the web.

He will indeed be missed. This board won't be the same without him.

• catbird
    13 years ago

That's a great picture of him -- just the way he always was.

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

In the past few month Terry and I wrote to each other once or twice a week...You see Terry became my rock...
    Vince and I are in a dark place..he was diagnosed with MDD, major depression disorder..If you have been around someone with a mental illness then you will understand the darkness�
    I would talk (type) to Terry and vent! He would always tell me life will get better and then tell me a story..LOL

When Terry came down with a truck load plants for me and to see the GH�s..all he could tell me was..I�ll be back in the spring�.I told him you don�t have to wait till spring�I�m sure he will walk around all of our GH�s�LOL

Terry would always tell me four words in EVERY letter�and if you have been hurt physically, emotionally and mentally by the man you love�you are so grateful for any signs of hope�and Terry gave that to me�
    The four words�.I�ll pray for you!!!

The Lord needed a good man, and being the man Terry was�he was the first to step up�

I have cried like a baby all day....Jan thank you SOOO SOOO very much for the note...

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

what the heck took over my message!!! Sorry for the mess..

• plantcrazy222
    13 years ago

So sad. Met him so many times at his sisters house, I call the area Tarrant, for plants. Always ready with advice on plants. I am so sad, we have lot a great gardening buddy, but God has gained a great gardener. I would see him at the plant digs and we would have to hush talking so we could dig plants. He thought my stepson was a great kid. Tony will be upset to hear this. My condolence to his wife and family.

• terramadre
    13 years ago

I am so sorry. My condolences to his family.

• outsideplaying_gw
    13 years ago

I'm so very sorry to hear about 'tsmith' and his passing so suddenly. My condolences to the family and to his many friends I know he had around Alabama and the gardening community. I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet him in person.

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

I'm feeling so very sad about Terry's passing....so sad.
    He was one generous and kind spirited person. I'm so
    happy to have seen his picture...at least. Whatever I may
    have been searching to trade for..it was mine just for
    asking. We traded quite a few times and I considered him my friend. I extend condolences to his family from my heart.

• cottagegirl_tn
    13 years ago

The flowers will truly look better in heaven now that Terry is there. He was so nice, quick to answer my questions and a much loved person as evidenced here by his friends.

• idig
    13 years ago

So sorry to hear this news. I wondered how the surgery went and replied to his email over Christmas weekend. My neighbor and fellow gardenwebber called me and told me today. Terry was a good man whose heart clearly showed through.

• Jackie McCarty
    13 years ago

oh no... i just got on here and read the news... oh, this is so sad. i had been wondering about him lately. he always gave me plants without trading at the swaps, and gardenia bushes i had been looking for one time...they are planted right by my front door. i'll think of him every time i go in or out the house now... :(
    my condolences to his family...

• User
    13 years ago

I was about to ask where Terry was, so glad I did not make that blunder. He always took the time to answer my questions and respond kindly to my ignorance. He left a big empty spot
    on our Alabama forum that won't soon be filled.

My condolences to his family.

• colabama
    13 years ago

robyn and family,i am saddened and sorry to hear of terry's passing.he would always respond to my questions when no one else could be bothered.he was always friendly,kind and knowledgeable.he will be missed.rip terry

Sponsored