Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Don't Buy Citrus Plants from Florida

tsmith2579
16 years ago

There is a long thread on the Citrus Forum started by a man in upstate New York who bought citrus trees from an E-bay seller in Florida. Later the USDA found the seller had citrus canker disease and is tracking down his E-bay buyers. The man in upstate NY was visited by the USDA and they confiscated his trees. Today I was notified by a Gardenweb friend in Waycross, GA he had a similar experience. He HAD, and I repeat, HAD, 25 citrus trees planted in his yard. He bought 10 citrus tree seedlings from a grower in Florida which were still in pots. The USDA office in Atlanta called him and came by one evening. The next morning they destroyed ALL of his citrus trees. I'm going to encourage everyone on this forum to not buy any citrus plants from Florida. You might consider not buying Florida fruit which may contaminate your trees if contaminated fruit or hands contaminated by fruit comes in contact with your trees. Don't plant Florida fruit seeds because the bacteria can be transmitted from the fruit peel. Usually the peel shows signs of the canker but it may be late in showing up. I know, the fruit is washed and disinfected, but do you dare chance?

Comments (2)

• don_licuala
    16 years ago

You're right. It's a problem down here. But does it affect hybrids grown up north?

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Don. In answer to your question, "... does it affect hybrids grown up north?",the answer would be "Yes". The next question would be "How?" Because of the Internet and free trading across state borders, the canker disease can be spread back to Florida or other states by plants traded from Florida growers or from traders who have infected plants from Florida. Example: An infected tree is traded to a NY hobby grower. He is contacted by a CA hobby grower and sends a plant (illegally) to CA. The CA hobby growers lives in Riverside county and spread the disease to the UC Riverside ag school plants and beyond. The entire citrus industry of CA, AZ, or TX may now be compromised. Too many people don't think there illegal trades can cause problem, but the can and do. Do you remember about 10 years ago when they had the outbreak of Hoof (foot in UK)& Mouth disease in Britain? People in the US were still trying to make trades with people UK. If the soil borne disease had been transferred to the US, the entire cattle and swine industry could have been jeopardized. In short, the NY grower is unknowingly spreading the disease. An agricultural Typhoid Mary. The worst news for Floridians could be if the canker disease is ever contained in Florida, the citrus industry could be re-infected by hobby growers.

It is sad to me as I drive along I-4 and remember how beautiful the citrus groves use to be from Tampa to Titusville. Now they are mostly gone. I remember when there were experimental groves at Gainesville (UF) along I-75 in the 1970s. Those too are now gone. I would surely hate to see the commercial groves along the FL Turnpike below Orlando disappear. Citrus has been a money maker for Floridians for many years.

Speaking of commercial groves, how are they handling the canker disease? I hear about grandmas and grandpas fighting the state about cutting backyard trees but I never hear about mass cuttings in commercial groves. What is the story in, say, Indian River county?

Sponsored