Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbird_gw

Earth may be cooling after all!!!

catbird
14 years ago

Well folks, looks like we'll need to shift to cold tolerant plants in the coming years. An impressive study released recently by Qing-Bin Lu, a professor of physics and astronomy, concludes that chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) [the stuff we used to use in air conditioners and spray cans], not carbon dioxide was the cause of global warming and shows that, now that we've reduced the levels of CFCs the earth's temps are cooling! Here's a quote from an article about the study:

_________

His conclusions are based on observations that from 1950 up to now, the climate in the Arctic and Antarctic atmospheres has been completely controlled by CFCs and cosmic rays, with no CO2 impact.

"Most remarkably, the total amount of CFCs, ozone-depleting molecules that are well-known greenhouse gases, has decreased around 2000," Lu [the study's author] said. "Correspondingly, the global surface temperature has also dropped. In striking contrast, the CO2 level has kept rising since 1850 and now is at its largest growth rate."

In his research, Lu discovers that while there was global warming from 1950 to 2000, there has been global cooling since 2002. The cooling trend will continue for the next 50 years, according to his new research observations.

So, break out the long johns and boots, toss the banana plants, and bum passalongs from your Zone 6 friends -- and feel free to put in a coal-burning stove. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Global Cooling Study

Comments (10)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

I have never denied that man contributed to global warming but I have never bought into the theory that science had proved that CO2 from burning fossil fuels and flatulence of cattle was the primary cause. When I was a teenager back in the 1960s, the Sunday THIS WEEK newspaper magazine which preceded PARADE and other media ran articles about how scientist were predicting a mini-ice age in the coming 50 years. Well so much for those predictions. I guess Al Gore was reading Modern Photography while I read National Geographic.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Take a look at this linked article about sun spots and the coming Maunder Minimum around 2020. "In a 2003 poll, 2/3 of more than 530 climate scientists from 27 countries did not believe greenhouse gases were the main reason for global warming. In fact, overlays of CO2 variations show little correlation with earthÂs climate on long, medium, and even short time scales. The science is nowhere near settled."

Here is a link that might be useful: Maunder Minimum

• catbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's interesting that there has been so little media coverage of these studies. Thought science was supposed to be about asking questions and double checking facts. Guess we'll have to leave all that for another forum, though, and stick to our gardening here. ;-)

• ourhighlandhome
    14 years ago

catbird,

It's not the media's job to ask questions or check facts. No, the media are there to inform us of the latest celebrity rehab stunt or marrital "indiscretion".

Seriously though, the quickest way to kill or delay action on any important issue is to politicize it, an "art" which Americans have sadly mastered.....

Nelson

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

So glad to see minds are still working in Alabama. :o) not that anyone asked, but then again no one has ever had to ask my opinion, God decides, and it is so. My part is to grow what I can being responsible in what I do and how I do it. Happy New Year to all and looking forward to the spring swap!

• sundog7
    14 years ago

I don't know about the long-range forecast (100 years), but the forecast for the next week to ten days is for bitter cold. Be sure to protect any vulnerable plants you may have.

Even making a checklist and going over everything two or three times, I always seem to forget a plant or two. Old age, maybe?

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Here is another and more recent article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Al Gore's Dream

• hogmanay
    14 years ago

Hi. I'm new to AL and GWF.

I'm no longer an AGW skeptic.

However, since I'm pretty sure people will wait until it is too late to help themselves, I don't really debate the issue. Folks get really fired up about it, probably because they fear the proposed solutions more than climate change itself. Hard to blame them, really.

Here's a pretty good link to read the argument from the AGW side if anyone is interested. http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

The cool thing (literally and figuratively) is that with the right trees in the right place, and a nice garden, we can create our own tiny micro climate and produce good food. Nothin' wrong with that, no matter where you stand on AGW!

Here is a link that might be useful: AGW facts

• catbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hogmanay: Welcome to Alabama and to Gardenweb. Where in AL are you?

We'll agree to respectfully disagree on this one. ;-) I've always been skeptical of any claims made by people who have a financial stake in the issue. Now with Phil Jones' astounding admissions this week, there are more and more questions about GW. I won't belabor the point here. As you say, we'll all plant trees and (organic) gardens and we'll enjoy them no matter what the science decides in the long run.

Here is a link that might be useful: Researcher: no global warming over the past 15 years

• hogmanay
    14 years ago

I hear ya. It seems everyone has an agenda these days. I don't try to convert anyone. I just try to make my own way.

I'm up by the TN state line near New Market.

I had new lot with no trees, and I've planted too many (of that I am sure)

The Ms. had a nice garden this summer, and I'm just glad to be back in the south where a person can afford enough of a lot to grow things.

It's quite a treat!

I'm enjoying the winter, but truth be told, spring can't come soon enough!!!!!

Sponsored