Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Martin's Heirloom and Schumacher Garlic

Posted by acheck_wa z7 WA (acheck@excite.com) on
Wed, Dec 27, 06 at 23:43

I have many seeds & plants in trade. I know it is late but I would like it try them. It is not too late in the NW as the ground is still workable.

Thank,
Anton (acheck_WA)
acheck@excite.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Martin's Heirloom and Schumacher Garlic

Hi, why don't you contact Martin himself, I'm sure he has some stuffed away..Just in time for spring planting..I don't think he recommends that but he's a world of advice.

Check this exchange for his page email.."Paquebot"
If you can't get his email address, email me, I'll send it to you..
Winemaker

o

If it is the Schumacher Garlic that I think it is, and I've never seen another one so named, I have it. In fact, I helped rescue it. About 20 years I volunteered at an heirloom vegetable garden at Schumacher Farm Park in Waunakee, WI. There was an old garlic there, presumably from the original owner that had gone grassy. I took some, and grew it back to full size heads and returned it to the gardener there. It has been grown there ever since.

We had done workshops on garlic growing and use, and gave some of the garlic to participants, which is how
I assume it came to be on the internet. Well, an old gardener leaves, and a new one comes on, not knowing what they have. All the original Schumacher grown at the garden has been lost to time, but it still grows in my garden! Again, this past Fall I returned it to the garden and gardener where it will grow again next Spring. It is not the best keeping garlic, usually sprouting by the first of the year, but it has good flavor and I am part of it's provenance, so I maintain a planting stock.

It being November, my stock is all planted, and this being 6 years after your original post, if you would like to contact me in the summer, I would be happy to send you some of the original stock, with my compliments. You can contact me thru my page.

Steve

o

Anton,

I have some Martin's bulbils if you're interested. Please PM me with the seeds & plants you have for trade.

Thanks,
--Byron.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here