Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant garlic pics

Posted by John_in_SC z7, upstate SC (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 04 at 21:11

Hey all

Here are some pics from our Elephant garlic this year. The stalks are about 5' high where the light purple bloom lives.

No idea what kind of leek or elephant garlic this is. It was passed down through an Italian family till it was given to my Mother in Law. She grew it as a flower in her garden... didn't even know you could eat it.

Now they know you can eat it. It makes great Spaghetti and garlic bread.

Best regards

John

Image link: Elephant garlic pics (33 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant garlic pics

That is gorgeous. I want tall garlic like that. It looks so ornamental and yet, so utilitarian. Is eating a utilitarian thing? Well, you get my point. Gorgeous photo. If you ever get more than you need/want ---

o
RE: Elephant garlic pics

Are you sure that's elephant garlic? Does it make the huge cloves? The flower looks exactly like my ornamental Allium - which has small/medium roundish bulbs - even after years in place. (My Allium leaves are big and stalky like elephant garlic/leek however...and when smelled and eaten - they are clearly more like the onion family than garlic)

The Elephant garlic that we grow here in Oregon is harvested in August, and heads are larger than a baseball within a few years. The seed I've seen (& used) looks nothing like the photo, it is much larger than corn seed, angular and shiny, like a thumbnail.

Here is a link that might be useful: A small Elephant Garlic clove with a large clove of regular puny garlic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here