Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic, -Mid May, Kansas City

Posted by Stephen_R Kansas City (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 03 at 16:32

I just found this forum. I planted several hundred cloves of different kinds of garlic last fall. They are all doing great. This is my first season with alliums. I cut off the blooms as they appeared. Is this the correct practice? Now, some of the leaves are starting to turn gold. Is this normal. When should I dig them up and harvest?
I planted a lot of French Grey Shallots too, last fall. Most of them did not come up. They just rotted. Are Shallots difficult? My green onions are doing great. -Steve from Kansas City

Image link: Garlic, -Mid May, Kansas City (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic, -Mid May, Kansas City

Seems to me that all is going well with your garlic. If you want them to bulb you definitely need to remove any flowering stalks, as you have done. If the leaves are turning yellow then that means your garlic is maturing. When 75% of the leaves are yellow and falling over, they should be ready to dig up and cure.

I'm on my second season with grey shallots. They don't seem as hardy and carefree as other shallots (such as dutch yellow). I didn't have any rot away, but they took longer to sprout, and the greens looked pretty sad for a long time. But in the end I got quite a good harvest and they were worth it. Their flavor really is superb.

Good luck!

By the way, you may want to post any allium questions on the main page, I didn't even know about the gallery page until two weeks ago. The main page is checked much more frequently.

Angelina.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here