Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallot Strangeness

Posted by drfugawe z8 OR (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 03 at 9:33

Planted shallots, or so I thought and noted in garden log, last Oct in SW Oregon. Grew well all winter. Took off in spring and entire patch produced scapes, which I removed. Part of patch is just now dying, rest is still growing. But oddly, the dying plants are clearly shallots (see pic) while the growing ones look more like bulbing white onions. I'd think maybe they were except almost all have at least one "multiplier" attached, just as shallots do. Anyone ever have this experience, or am I loosing it? BTW, I used "grocery store" shallots for planting, and may have even bought two batches. jm

Image link: Shallot Strangeness (44 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallot Strangeness

The yellow ones actually look more like yellow potato onions rather than yellow shallots. I've seen one sold as the other and v.v. They are so closely related that it is often hard to distinguish between the two until they are grown side by side.

The white one looks like an ordinary bulbing onion which has gone to seed. Definitely does not look like any shallot that I've ever known. That bulb is not a "multiplier" but a regular bulb which forms first to supply reserve energy to the flower.

Shallots and potato onions will rest during the winter and then divide in the spring. Onions will also rest but then send up a flower stalk shortly after the bulb is formed.

Martin

o

Thanks for your response, Martin. You may be perfectly correct re the white bulb being an onion rather than a shallot. Regretably, I do some things which are not recorded in the garden log, and in this case I may have moved some Japanese spring onions, which seemed stalled in their development, in Nov. to the area next to the shallots. And then forgot all about them. Would a scallion mature into something like this bulbing onion?
Thanks for the help with this. John

o

John, I've never seen a white shallot. They show color as soon as they begin development. Not certain how big the Japanese spring onion can get but if you had them in your garden, that would explain your white one. Also, most shallots do not make flower stalks but simply divide. There are hybrid shallots which form flowers but they also are not white.

Martin

Martin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here