Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Does garlic lower BP?

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi all,

Have any of you found that garlic can lower BP? If so.....how much and in what form do you take it? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Hi Catherine,

I've been taking an herbal supplement for BP that contains capsicum, garlic and parsley and it seems to be working. I just started taking it less than a month ago and my BP has just begun to drop within the last week.

• snappybob
    17 years ago

Peggy, is this a capsule or something that you are buying? Is so, what is it and where did you find it? I've been trying to lower mine and dodge the prescription drug bullet so any natural help I can get would be useful.
    Thanks

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Hi Bob,

Yes it is a capsule. I take 2-3 times a day. My MIL has sold herbal supplements for "Nature's Sunshine" for many years now and she recommended that I try this before going with a prescription.

My BP has only recently been on the rise. I check it everyday and this morning it was a little high for the 1st time in 4 days. I'm sure hoping the herbs will do the trick.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: A link for you

• snappybob
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link Peggy. Specificaly which one are you taking that has been lowering your blood pressure?

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Isn't capsicum the stuff from hot peppers?
    I have GERD, and someone told me once that he drinks a concoction that has hot pepper in it, and it takes his heartbun away. Who would have thought?
    I've heard that garlic is a natural anti-fungal, anti-bacterial. But I just read today that it might lower BP too. I finally got off my beta blocker....and a month later, my BP shot up. Bummer. I would just like to find something more natural that doesn't have a bunch of side-effects.
    Thanks for the info Peggy!

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Sorry Bob, scroll down to the "capsicum & garlic with parsley"...3rd from the last. Thart's what I'm taking.

Catherine, capsicums are any solanaceous (nightshade species) plant of the genus capsicum, as C. frutescens, the common pepper.

Garlic has so many health benefits; antibacterial, antifungal, blood pressure, cholesterol, circulation, impotence, pregnancy, diabetes, as a cardioprotective, anti-oxidant, coughs and colds, stomach conditions and cancer. And it makes foods taste so good too!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Peggy.

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

I felt that I should update my progress with the herbal garlic & capsicum. My blood pressure did drop after I had been taking the herbal supplement for awhile but then it shot up again for no apparent reason. Some days it was normal and others my pressure was through the roof. Determined not to take the blood pressure meds, I changed my diet and started using a salt substitute and I avoid foods that are high in sodium. It's amazing how much sodium some foods have! Within less than 2 weeks my pressure was down and has remained constant for 4 weeks now. I'm not even taking the supplements anymore. I generally take my BP 2x's daily. My main issue with herbal supplement was that they're huge...horse pills!! I would often taste them for awhile after taking one.

I've also been using Bragg's Liquid Aminos (available in most health food stores) in the place of salt in homemade soups and stews. It's similiar to soy sauce but only has 110 mg of sodium. No calories, no fat. I've even been using it in omelets and sauces and look forward to trying it on other dishes.

Anyway, sorry if I mislead anyone:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bragg's Liquid Aminos

• catherinet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's okay Peggy,
    I make some deductions myself that seem really true, only to realize later that they don't always hold up.
    I am very salt sensitive too. Plus, I lost alot of my sense of taste after an illness about 18 years ago, and I tend to add salt to food so I can taste it.
    I don't see how most Americans tolerate all the prepared food and food at restaurants. Every time I go out to eat, my mouth is so dry I can hardly stand it.
    I've also noticed that just cutting back on carbs seems to automatically cut back on salt too. Its pretty amazing how much salt Americans consume every day. Plus, alot of us lead pretty sedentary lives, and don't sweat all that salt off.
    Also, I think some of us are just more sensitive to salt than others. I try to keep a couple bottles of Mrs. Dash's various herbal shakers on the table. They are pretty good.
    Sometimes I just squeeze a lemon on things and it gives the illusion of saltiness. Then....sometimes.....you just gotta eat a bag of potato chips!