Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant onions in MD zone 7?

Posted by mdgardengurl MD Zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 08 at 8:05

2 years ago, I had a fabulous crop of large healthy onions, but can't remember when I planted them. Last year, I must have planted them too late, because my crop was very disappointing...very small onions. Can anyone tell me when is the best time to plant onions in my area? We had a LONG summer this past year (I was still picking tomatoes and peppers in November), and a mild winter so far..In fact, our days are still in the 50's. As a guideline, I will be planting my Snow Peas next month...
Any help will be so appreciated.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant onions in MD zone 7?

Hi Mdgardengurl,

I am also in zone 7, near the coast in central NJ, and I plant around April 1st with good success.

Dixondale Farms has established onion plant ship dates by Zip Code (http://www.dixondalefarms.com/shipping) and they show April 7th as their standard ship date for Maryland. They show the same date for NJ, but I requested an earlier ship date. Dixondale also has an onion planting guide that may be helpful (http://www.dixondalefarms.com/downloads/OnionPlantingGuide.pdf)

For good size onions, the right variety is very important. Maryland is right around the border for Long Day varieties and Intermediate Day varieties, so either should work well. I suggest Candy and Walla Walla as nice large onions for your area. Give them a good shot of nitrogen in the early spring to get the top growth going.

TomNJ

o

Tom, thanks so much for that information! I just downloaded their guide, so will study it today, and place my order with them tomorrow morning.
Thaks again!

o

ask and ye shall receive

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting dates for MD Zone 7

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here