Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oneofeight

other potatoe onions

oneofeight
18 years ago

HAS ANYONE EVER FOUND A SOURCE FOR, OR DO YOU HAVE, ANY OF THE RED OR WHITE POTATOE ONIONS THAT "MANY OLD TIMERS IN VIRGINIA AND WEST VIRGINIA STILL GROW" ACCORDING TO POTATOE ONION LORE? I HAVE FOUND A FEW SOURCES FOR THE YELLOW POTATOE ONIONS, BOTH LARGE AND SMALL AND MANY YEARS AGO, 20? I HAD A NEIGHBOR WHO GREW SMALL WHITE "NESTING ONIONS" ABOUT THE SIZE OF A SHALLOT, 1" OR SO. BUT HAVE NEVER FOUND A SOURCE FOR THE RED OR WHITE LARGER TYPE POTATOE ONIONS, ALSO IF ANYONE HAS A WHITE SHALLOT I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO ARRANGE TO HAVE A START. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. ZONE 6B.

ONEOFEIGHT

Comments (20)

• negi
    18 years ago

White Shallot? I think I got you covered. None of my alliums are dormant right now, but could probably take shipping. My unnamed ultraproductive shallot I would bet could take the shipping fine. I got it locally in a small roadside stand. They just called it shallots, but it was sprouting with lots of legs so I bought some of them. Since then it has done so well and tastes so nice, that I wish I had a name on it. I also have The Mirage shallot that has a rust colored wrapper and Ivory flesh. It may be what you are looking for. I too am looking for the white and red potatoe onions. Also rakkyu and perlwetzel and beltsville bunching and every other dividing, splitting or multiplying edible allium I can find. A book I read recomended the perpetual leek as a favorite divider, but I cannot find a source. Here is what I have growing right now.

Onion Deviding Ultra tough Cepa
    Onion 1015 yellow
    Onion Ailsa Craig
    Onion Bermuda Belle white
    Onion Big Red
    Onion Big yellow
    Onion Copra
    Onion Crimson Forest
    Onion Deep Purple
    Onion Dividing Local Heirloom
    Onion Dividing Tough Productive Possibly White Lisbon.
    Onion Egyptian Walking
    Onion Evergreen
    Onion Evergreen Hardy
    Onion Flat Red
    Onion Four Seasons
    Onion Granex yellow Sweet
    Onion He Shi Ko
    Onion I'itois
    Onion Ishikura
    Onion Japanese Unknown
    Onion Kuronobori
    Onion Mass Producing Japanese
    Onion Natsuguro
    Onion Potato
    Onion Yellow Potato
    Onion Red Beard
    Onion S1 Productive Redskin Shallot
    Onion Southern Belle Red
    Onion Southport White
    Onion Summer TS
    Onion Superstar
    Onion Sweet Spanish Contessa
    Onion Tokyo Long White
    Onion White Nebuka
    Onion White Spear
    Shallot Ambition
    Shallot Armador
    Shallot Bonilla
    Shallot Matador
    Shallot Mirage
    Shallot Old German
    Shallot Pinkish
    Shallot Prisma
    Shallot Red
    Shallot Ultra productive
    Shallot White
    Shallot yellow Skin
    Leek
    Leek, Lancelot
    Chives
    Chives Garlic
    Garlic
    Garlic Elephant

I love the Idea of trading!

• oneofeight
    Original Author
    18 years ago

negi I'D LOVE TO HAVE SOME OF YOUR MIRAGE AND ULTRA PRODUCTIVE WHITE SHALLOTS, YOU HAVE A LOT MORE VARIETIES GROWING THAN I DO. E-MAIL ME INSTRUCTIONS AND FUNDS NEEDED AT cats@brtc.net AND I'LL REPLY ASAP. THANKYOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS. SUE ONEOFEIGHT

• gone2seed
    18 years ago

I recently purchase yellow potato onions,on Ebay,from seller
    onestoppoppyshop.I liked what I recieved so much that I reordered more and added some shallots to the order.
    You could try an Ebay search on potato onions or on the seller.

• negi
    18 years ago

Has anyone shipped non-dormant shallots or onions? I bet that if I wash them clean, and send them in an air filled zip lock with a moist but not wet environment that they do fine. If no one has a better Idea I will send them this way.
    -Bob

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Non-dormant anything in a sealed Zip Loc will begin rotting in a day or two. That's one of the biggest complaints of customers who order live plants. That's also why fresh produce bags have holes in them. Punch a few holes in them and they'll be OK.

Martin

• oneofeight
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GONE2SEED THAT'S WHERE I GOT MY YELLOW POTATOE ONIONS, AND SOME GERMAN SHALLOTS, THEY WERE VERY NICE! THANKS FOR ANSWERING. SUE

• negi
    18 years ago

I got Potato onions from southernexposure.com and from onestoppoppy, both are growing well. Both are yellow.

Thanks for the data on shipping paquebot! I will try it.

• lillieinal
    18 years ago

no i have never even found a clue for the white and red potato onions.
    i have some white shallots name unkown . got them from a vendor at the flea market.she was an older lady and said they had been in her family for 50 plus years.would love to trade for some of the "nesting onions " they sound like some my mom had that i have been searching for.
    email me please. lori

• kentuckyheirloomer
    18 years ago

Negi,

If you're still looking for Rakkyo, contact me off-list (BrookBarb@aol.com). Perhaps we can do a deal. I'm particularly interested in some of your colored shallots.

• negi
    18 years ago

Thanks Kentuckyheirloomer, I have sent the email.

-Bob

• negi
    18 years ago

Kentuckyheirloomer and oneofeight,

Kentuckyheirloomer; You should get your alliums on the 14th or 15th, most likely the 15th.

Oneofeight; You should get your alliums on the 14th.

Let me know how they look when you get them and how they do.
    -Bob

• oneofeight
    Original Author
    18 years ago

NEGI;
    PAPER WRAPPED AND TRIMMED ALLIUMS ARE IN GREAT SHAPE. RECEIVED THE 15TH. PLANTED WITHIN THE HOUR. THANKS LOTS.
    ONEOFEIGHT

• negi
    18 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Oneofeight. The next test is to see how well they do. I suspect the biggest ones will recover quickly, partially because the biggest ones are by coincidence TOUGH plants.
    -Bob

• negi
    18 years ago

Kentuckyheirloomer, the rakkyo is lovely, Tonight we will probably get our last freeze for the year, so I will plant them tomorrow. I have plantlabels already made.
    -Bob

• kentuckyheirloomer
    18 years ago

That should work great, Bob. I planted my last batch in mid-January, and have full faith in them. Frost doesn't seem to bother them at all.

I'm holding off a little with the starts you sent, though. Got them in the fridge, and am planning on setting half of them in deep flats, under lights, and holding the others until March.

Will keep you in the loop how things develop.

• negi
    18 years ago

I got the Onions, Oneofeight. They look healthy. I kept some onions wrapped the way that I sent them to you. I planted them one week after I picked them. I will compare recovery rates over the next couple of months.
    Thanks Oneofeight!
    -Bob

• goatsnsheep
    16 years ago

I am looking for the white potato onion as well---not the bunching onions---did anyone find them? I am looking for the one that makes a decent size onion that keeps for months.

I have been doing some research, and these MAY be available in both India and China---have an intern coming over---maybe there is hope yet.......also , I think these are still grown in Wales and England, and may have found a source there.

I got wiped out by armadillos while I was gone for a few days. Anyone out there have extras now or in the fall of any alliums to share? I will have lots of other types of heirloom seeds to share..

• pdxjules
    15 years ago

Wow, I loved this thread - and Negi - what a list!

I just bought a house with 3x the garden space -
    Anyone able to share to help me restart?

I think I do still have Elephant Garlic seed to share,
    if someone would like them. Assuming they survived the recent snow, that is...stored in a flat with peat
    that was exposed and got pretty wet. (Tuff little guys,
    so I expect they're fine)

Jules
    who will host Spring and Fall Plant Swaps
    in NE Portland (rain or shine)

• thisisme
    12 years ago

I just purchased some White Potato Onions from an eBay seller. They also sell Yellow and a bunch of other stuff. They say they will have Red Potato Onions in 2012. I would love to have Yellow White and Red.

Here is a link that might be useful: I found White Potato Onions

• tamatik
    10 years ago

I buy a lot of seeds from ebay... last yr i found southport bunching onions and loved them.
    this yr the shipping $4.50 is just outrageous, its just a pkt less than ounce.. mail scammers are the worst. hope they rot in hell.