Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerted361

RE: Which ones to grow?

farmerted361
18 years ago

Hi, all.

I would like to plant some garlic this year and I need to know which ones would grow best in a North Eastern garden of zone 6a along Lake Eire, here in Buffalo, New York. I am Italian and like strong tasting and well as smelling garlic for cooking, it also must have a robust flavor. Any suggestions? Also when do you plant them? I heard that most are planted in late summer to early fall, is that true for all?

Thanks, Ron:)

Comments (3)

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Columbus day (October 12th) is a good time to plant garlic.
    If you want to try putting in a few cloves in early spring you may get some small bulbs but they will do better if they have a chance to root in the fall and winter over. They are generally ready to harvest in late July so planting in spring doesn't give a very long growing season.
    In the northeast the hardnecked types do better - there are lots of varieties - German White, German Red, Music....
    Some seed companies sell assortments but almost all just for fall delivery.

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Ron,
    I can send you some garlic later in the year. I have a variety that loves it here. My husband found it in Nia-wanda park a long time ago. With all the immigrants in the area, I'm sure it jumped ship from someone's garden years ago. (It is not wild garlic.) It is a hardneck with white outer skin and striped inner skin. It has a nice flavor that I really like.
    E-mail me if you're interested.
    Remy

• rxkeith
    18 years ago

if you want to try some garlic imported from italy, you can contact bill mckay who runs seeds from italy. he is getting 3 varieties this year. they will only be available on line because of limited quantity. i don't know much about them other than bills description of them. you can contact bill at seeds@growitalian.com. bill is a good guy. he'll fill you in. italian varieties that i am currently growing are music and lorz italian. music is a nice big bulb with large cloves, and big flavor. lorz doesn't have a lot of heat, but it has a flavor that sticks around for awhile. i'm not sure how well i like that one yet. other varieties that have a strong robust flavor that i like are asian tempest, georgian crystal, and polish jenn.

fall plant for best results works for most people although many folks have had success planting in early spring. i planted some bulbs early spring one year, (had to move some snow away) and the bulbs were smaller than the ones i fall planted. still good to eat, and they were full size the next year when fall planted. so if you can get your hands on some garlic at this late date, go for it. small garlic is better than no garlic.

keith in calumet

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz