Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using bulbils

Posted by joanfreed TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 11:59

HI. I'm new here. I see lots of folks very knowledgeable on all these topics, and have a question about bulbils. My sister gave me a bunch of dried bulbils, and I'm wondering how to use them. My problem being they are tiny, so I don't know how to get the skins off to put them in recipes. I mean reeally Tiny! (she's a new gardener, and her crop may not have been the greatest.) I thought about planting them, but that didn't happen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using bulbils

Probably Egyptian Walking Onion. If you want to plant them, simply put them in the ground, about half an inch to an inch. They may take a couple of weeks to root and send up a stalk. To cook them, you can simply wash them and put the and cook it in with your favorite soups or whatever. But, if you don't want the skins when you are cooking them, just simply gently rub the skins off. If you put just one in the ground, it will produce about 25 bulblets, or bulbils, each, so they are a pretty self-sustaining plant. You can eat the large bulb in the ground, also. Try the onions out, and if you like them, plant a few in your backyard. They are supposed to have full sun, but they are known to grow just fine in shade. Plant at least 3 inches away from each other. They are perennials, and averagely take around 100 days to mature, but that can be varied where you live.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here