Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie needs advice on what onions to plant?

Posted by illidanx none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 12:57

Hello all,

I am trying to plant onion indoor just for the green. Ideally, I want to be able cut down the onion leaves, and the onion will be able to grow new replacement leaves over and over.

Currently, I have planted the pearl onion bulbs I bought at walmart. They are growing well. However, I read on the internet that these onions are on the 2nd year of their life cycle and they will bolt soon. Do you know if they will give me lots of green before bolting?

I have also purchased the bunching onion seeds from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/290838813124?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649). I have not planted them yet but I wonder if they will give me more onion leaves than the first method?

Thank you for your inputs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie needs advice on what onions to plant?

I don't do a lot of onion growing indoors but I'll take a guess based on a bunch of outdoor experience. If you keep feeding the pearl onions, you should get a good amount of green before they get enough light to bolt.

Plant for plant, I have had more top growth with pearl / normal onions than the bunching variety but usually the bunching are better for using whole as scallions. Also, onions from seed are going to take longer to get to usable size than planting pearl onions / sets so you could probably do both and get tops from the bunching ones after the pearls decide to bolt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here