Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is Topsetting Garlic?

Posted by deanriowa 4b (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 15, 10 at 13:29

I am looking at least year catalog from Sandhill Preservation and looking at their heirloom topsetting garlic. They sell them by the bulbs.

You plant the bulbs and what do you get?
Is it similar to topsetting onions?

thanks,
Dean

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill Topsetting Onions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is Topsetting Garlic?

Most hardneck garlics are 'topsetting' in that they pruduce bulblets on the flower scape rather than flowers. Perhaps the topsets of these garlic are larger than for other garlic (which grow into a clove sized bulb the first year and a full head the second - making it a slow way to get garlic).

Last year I had several leek plants produce bulblets on their flowers as well, it must be a fairly common thing for alliums to do. Bulblets were definitely easier than seed for the leeks. It will be interesting to see if bulblet grown leeks produce lots of bulblets themselves.

o

How long will it take the bulblets to produce usable garlic?

thanks,
Dean

o

couple of seasons.

o

Interesting.
I would just use those tiny bulbet in cooking, if I ever get some. I use wild onion bulbets same way.

o

Allowing the flower stalk to grow and produce bulblets reduces the size of the garlic head in the ground, if you don't have a use for the bulblets it's better to cut the flower stalks. The stalks can be eaten, are mild flavored and tender when young.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here