Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billy_kain

Bunching onions

billy_kain
15 years ago

I know how stupid this question is going to sound. I don't care.

Last spring, I bought a small pot of bunching onions. No other name except that. I planted them in the garden, and pretty much forgot them.

I like onions, but ran out of the bulbs I had grown and stored (1015Y and a white granex). I yanked up a couple of the bunching onions, with the idea that they could be treated as green onions.

I was wrong. They had a kind of heat I have never experienced. It was not like a pepper, because that will go away after a couple of hours. It was about two days before I got over the effects. In fact, I am still kind of worried because I know that there are some kinds of mushrooms that take two weeks to kill you.

Why would anyone grow such a plant, and pretend it is food? I even got my garden map out, and made sure that I had not pulled up poison ivy or something.

Did I just buy some bad bunching onions? Are the "walking onions" I have, going to taste like this? They are growing right beside the other onions, and I did not treat them any differently except to leave them in the ground.

Thanks for any information,

John

Comments (2)