Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doku_gw

Ramps

doku
14 years ago

Hi again! :)

I'm wondering if anyone has any wild leek seeds they could trade me?

Thanks for your time! :)

Comments (8)

• bluespiritartist
    14 years ago

Hi doku, i have wild leek seeds that I harvested last year in the woods. What other seeds do you have to offer? I didn't see anything on your list that I was looking for. If you have other seeds, would be interested to see what you have but if not, if you would e-mail me for address exchange and just send a stamp or two I can send them out. The wild leek seeds have been cold treated and should be ready to go anytime.

blue

• cloverhouse
    14 years ago

Hi Blue and Doku--I'm new to allium-growing and don't know about wild leeks, though I think I remember my grandmother talking about "ramps." I'm planning to grow regular leeks from seed that is now wintersown (and possibly from plants or sets?) but am curious about why you grow ramps and what do you see as the advantages? Thanks for clueing me in! Clover

• cloverhouse
    14 years ago

(Sorry, I had to re-post this message to be notified by email when someone responds.)

Hi Blue and Doku--I'm new to allium-growing and don't know about wild leeks, though I think I remember my grandmother talking about "ramps." I'm planning to grow regular leeks from seed that is now wintersown (and possibly from plants or sets?) but am curious about why you grow ramps and what do you see as the advantages? Thanks for clueing me in! Clover

• bluespiritartist
    14 years ago

Hi Clover, I just came across this post, its been awhile, sorry. Wild leeks are very healthy and if you like a strong onion/garlic taste, they are wonderful! Old wives tale is if you eat leeks 3 days in a row, you will be healthy all year. I do believe there is truth to that. You won't want to be around your friends or co workers after you eat them tho. If you eat alot of them and i confess that I do...but where i live, no friends to worry about! LOL But they will, if eaten alot, that whatever chemical in them will come through your pores but its only temp and I just believe they help push out toxins and all kinds of stuff that shouldn't be in your system anyways. But I'm hardcore, I eat them raw with a glass of beer but also make stews and scramble them in eggs...the list is endless. Can't say enough about them.

• bluespiritartist
    14 years ago

Doku, have you recieved the leek seeds yet??? Please let me know. Thanks
    blue

• nann0n
    14 years ago

I would love to grow ramps (they look so nice) but I just can't get seeds here in Australia.

Also, if by some miracle I can get seeds, will they grow here or do they need cold weather to grow? It never freezes where I live and its rare for it to get below 5°C (approx. 41F). Normal leeks grow and taste great.

Cheers,
    Anna

• bluespiritartist
    14 years ago

Hi nannOn, They need cold treatment but I'm thinking that if you freeze some seeds in your freezer for 6 months, then plant in a shaded, moist area, you might get leeks for that season. But plant them at the coolest temps that you get, so your timing will have to be more accurate.

blue

• davidbooth65
    14 years ago

Hi nannOn. It is nice to see your interest in our beloved (by some) wild leeks. I believe you could grow them there, but it might require some dedication on your part. You must likely consider photoperiod. I believe that they usually have completed their growth by around the summer solstice, and then begin to sinesce. After they have produced seed you would likely have to dig the bulbs and first refridgerate, and then freeze the bulbs for a period of time before thawing, refridgerating, and then planting them again for the next season. That is my guess. I would love to know if they could survive, perhaps reproducing only by division, in your climate. One likely problem may be that they are a "spring ephemeral" and occupy a specialized niche that exploites the brief period of time in the spring with cold, but not frozen soil, before the trees and shrubs have fully leafed out. Dappled sunlight is probably the best way to describe their typical habitat here in the northeast US. If you are really serious about trying them out, I am sure we can get you some seeds down under!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio