Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike48858

Beneficial Nematodes and Onion Fly Maggots

mike48858
18 years ago

Hi all!

Last year, my sweet onions were attacked by onion fly maggots. I have decided to try beneficial nematodes to get rid of any that may be over-wintering in my raised beds. Does anyone here have any experience using these?

I ordered the nematodes from Gardens Alive, and they informed me that the nematodes are on back-order and won't arrive until sometime in May. I hope to have my onion transplants in the ground by mid April. Will the delay applying the nematodes mean my onion plants are in danger from the maggot, or do they not do much damage to young plants?

Also, what is a good defense against the onion fly before they lay their eggs?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)

• oneofeight
    18 years ago

MIKE48858 I'M GOING TO TRY BENEFICIAL NEMATODES THIS YEAR IN ALL ROOT VEG AND BLACKBERRY ROWS FOR ROOT MAGGOTS, FLY LARVAE AND GRUBS OF JAP BEATLE. I'M GETTING IT FROM GARDENS'S ALIVE, A LITTLE EXPENSIVE BUT SUPPOSED TO LAST FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND I CAN'T STAND THE ROOT MAGGOTS, IT'S WORTH IT TO ME. ONEOFEIGHT

• asteven1
    18 years ago

It depends on where you live. In central Ontario, adults enmerge in mid to late May, and begin laying eggs.
    Go search on google; enter onion maggot, and you get links to more information than you can handle.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals