Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gandana

Posted by mantu CT (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 08 at 21:04

Does anyone know where to get seeds or plants of gandana? Leeks or garlic chives are often used as a substitute for it but do not taste quite the same.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gandana

I hope this is what you are looking for. you might be having trouble finding it because you are looking for it by the wrong name. It is really a shallot. Look at the link I enclosed, it is and Indian item, and if you look here you will see it is a shallot.
If you are looking for a tuber that taste like a cross between an onion and garlic and is slightly elongated then this is it. It is a shallot I use them and they are delicious. You need to plant the tubers not seed it is too difficult to plant them as seeds. I hope this helps?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.indianetzone.com/1/shallot.htm

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 08 at 0:18

luvinlife513
Would you be willing to trade a few gandanas? If so please email thru my member page. Thanks

o

I am sorry I don't have any but you can buy them on line just google and you will find some. I might give it a try someday.

o

Thank you. I will try to search under the botanical name. My wife and mother-in-law grew up eating them. I would like to plant some for them. Thanks again.

o

Still looking for Gandana. Gandana is not shallots. I grew up eating them when my father had a garden, but I am trying to find seeds now.

Has anyone had any luck?

o

Hi,

I know you have posted this question several years ago. Did you find Gandana seeds or are you still looking for them. I like Gandana too, but haven't been able to find its seeds in Europe. I don't know its English name either, but it is neither garlic chive nor shallot as suggested. I am currently visiting Afghanistan and Gandana seeds are available here. If you want, I can buy you some and post it to you wherever you are.

Many thanks,
H

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here