Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garlic in mild climates

Posted by kristenmarie Z4-5/New Mexico (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 22:04

HI, I'm wanting some feedback (purely for research purposes) from you folks who grow garlic in mild zones where winters don't freeze much. You plant at the same time of year-- fall-- right? And the garlic actually COMES UP right away, ie, in November or December? Does it freeze back, then start growing again in spring? Or does it just sort-of hang out like a little green garlic shoot all winter, then take off in spring?

(Here in our cold zone, we plant in October and the garlic comes up in early March -- we don't see any sign of it for four months, usually...)

Kristen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garlic in mild climates

I plated about 300 cloves here in Tennessee, first batch planted in October, final batch just before Christmas. The October and November plantings came up and grew quite nicely, some are up to a foot in height right now. My December plantings are coming up VERY slowly, green leaves just 1 to 3 inches tall.

We had at least two hard freezes, both within the last three or so weeks, temps down to 10-14 deg F for a couple straight nights. Made the green leaves a little limp; the largest ones are flopping over a bit, but it doesn't look like any have died.

So to answer your question, I planted in Fall, leaves sprung up, hard freezes didn't materially affect them (none of the leaves fell off, for example), they're all still chugging away. The tallest ones aren't as green as they were a month or two ago, but they're still ... I'll call it 'kinda green'.

J

o

In Central Texas we plant garlic in late October to mid-November. It begins to show green shoots within two or three weeks, grows slowly all winter (we have infrequent freezes with the nighttime temps going to mid-20's that do not affect the garlic at all), begins to really grow in February and we harvest in May when the tops tell us the bulbs are ready. Of course, we can only do the soft-neck variety but garlic is a very reliable crop for us.
In the Texas Hill Country there is a gentleman who specializes in garlic--he ships varieties of garlic all over, and has selected varieties most suited to our climate. If you do a search on Gourmet Garlic, his website will come up. He might be able to tell you more.

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 3, 08 at 0:25

I try to plant all garlic around Nov 1st. It grows faster when warmer and slower when colder and seems to grow all winter, so its quite tall by spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here