Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugpugmom

Total newbie wants to plant onions

bugpugmom
15 years ago

After reading about them in a seed catalog I thought I wanted to plant Egyptian walking onions. But then after searching the net it seems they're better used as green onions, that's not what I want. I'm in N FL, does anybody have any suggestions that might work for me? Also, are they best planted in the fall, like garlic?

Comments (3)

• yopper
    15 years ago

I am as far from Fl. as you can be and still be in the U,S,I know nothing about gardening in Fl.I would suggest that you google dixendale farms and use their plants. YOPPER

• billy_kain
    15 years ago

Since I have not died from eating my bunching onions, I now consider myself an expert.

You said that you did not want green onions, so I assume you want the bulbing type. Dixondale farms is an excellent source, and their site has good information. I bought from them last year, with very good results. However, you can buy some of the same named plants from Wal-Mart or Lowe's, for a lot less. That is what I am trying this year.

For our area (southern parts of the US), a short day onion works best. IMO, you just cannot beat the 1015Y. It does well here.

If you buy small plants, the time to plant is now. In fact, for my area, January 15 is the date to shoot for. If you buy from Dixondale, they will use your zip code, and send the onion plants when the time is right for your area, unless you ask them not to.

I tried the onion sets (small bulbs) and had horrible luck with them. I planted in the fall, and most bolted the following spring. Onions are very sensitive to temperature, and if you have intermittent warm and cool spells, the bi-annual onion will think it is time to send up a bloom stalk. Unless you want to save seed, that is a bad thing. You can eat an onion that is forming a bloom stalk, but the bulb may not be solid, and (in my experience) cannot be stored with much success.

Good luck,
    John

• watermelon7
    15 years ago

Egyptian onions don't have much a problem with bolting as other onions do. Egyptian onions are very cold resistant, so they are classified as perennial, instead of bi-annual, like many other onions. Many people who grow Egyptian onions use them as green onion, but many people wait until the onion matures for full, or complete, onions. You can also eat the stalk and bulblets at the top.