Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Chives and Red Spring Onions

Posted by mr_grizzly 9 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 22:55

I have just recieved my seeds for Dugeirhong Purple chives and Rossi bunching onion and Rossa di Lucca spring onion. Does anyone have any cultural tips for any of these? I have grown chives with good success, but never from seed. I am still new to alliums and am appreciative of any help.

-Colby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Chives and Red Spring Onions

Chives and onions grow like weeds from seed. Just start them as you would any other seeds, in a flat with seedstarting mix. I usually grow my onions by putting a mesh flat full of seedstarting mix into a no holes flat, moisten it well, sow the seeds on the surface and cover it with a clear germination dome and keep it warm until they are up about an inch tall, then move them to the greenhouse in full light.
When the roots have the soil bound together, then you can remove the mesh flat out of the no holes flat. If the tops get real tall and start falling over, trim them off to a couple of inches with scissors.
Pull them apart to transplant. As long as they are as big as a piece of spaghetti when you transplant they will grow great big onions.
Chives are exactly the same as onions in seed care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here