Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want Old Fashion Scallions, Multiplying onions

Posted by kcdupree Z8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 12 at 23:15

I had these for years, and somehow, one year, they were gone, but I really want them back. Saw some seeds in the Shumway book, but the seeds were only $1.85 and the shipping was $6.
So looking for some from someone's garden, so I can bypass the seed stage.
Have elephant garlic, shallots, and some Sweet Heritage White onions, they make a small 3-bulb onion like the shallots. Also have garlic chives and leeks.
Thanks!
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want Old Fashion Scallions, Multiplying onions

I have a really nice scallion / bunching onion that has perennialized in my WI garden, and would be happy to send you some, in about 4 months, when things thaw and come back to life!! If you are interested in seed for same, send a SASE small padded mailer and I can send them to you.

Steve

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 4, 12 at 21:00

skeip, I have XG422 Yellow Multiplier from Territorial Seed Co.
I am in S.C. zone 7b/8a.
I was just wondering if my M.Onions would grow in your perennialized garden.

o

I have grown that very onion for several years. In fact, last year I had such a good harvest that I was able to send stock to several people from this forum. I have never been overly impressed with it, but it is a curiosity, and something people seem to be interested in.

I plant the bulbs in the fall for a midsummer harvest, I have not left them in the ground as I would expect they would degrade and go "grassy" like garlic left in the ground will.

The onion that I was referring to is a scallion or bunching type that has formed quite a nice patch where I can pull as many as I need. They also bloom and produce viable seed. This is a variety that I planted from seed a number of years ago, and no longer have record or recollection of the name.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here