Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmermiller01

Garlic!

farmermiller01
12 years ago

Hey everyone,

Looks like I found the correct area... I started some Garlic and I had good and bad news.

The good news is I started 3 heads of hard-neck garlic from cloves and about half of them took.

The bad news is the ones that didn't take have some wierd green chunky disease on the bulbs that are causing the leaves to turn brown and die. When i tap the bulbs, they release some type of powder into the air which I'm sure isn't healthy.

Ideas?

Comments (9)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

Do you have a flower bed? They will look good there.

• farmermiller01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep got a place all ready for it, most of my questions got answered in the other forum so I'm cool. thanks!

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    12 years ago

I guess I'm just curious, and maybe I don't know the whole story... but why didn't you just plant the garlic in the ground? Hardnecks should over-winter just fine in N.Y. You probably would have avoided the mold problem by planting the cloves when they had more vigor.

• farmermiller01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I kinda learned after the fact that you plant them late in the fall. I figured a plant is a plant and hadn't counted on there being things such as cold weather crops.

Now I'm just salvaging whatever I can. Better luck next year eh?

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

I've tried your exact setup and no matter what, they seem to rot eventually, maybe because of the lack of enough vernalization, light, growing space, or other conditions that are present in an outdoor environment.

• farmermiller01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the heads up Steve.
    I have even greater pressure to get these outside now ha!

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

So you started them indoors? Next time grow them outside, they do need a cold period to do well.

The bottom picture looks like mold. I would not plant that anywhere in the garden, for fear of it spreading. For a fun experiment, I would carefully rinse it and see if it got in the bulb and root. If not, I would spray it with a hydrogen peroxide water mix and plant it in clean soil in a large container with plenty of drainage and mulch it with straw planted outside. Late March I would remove the mulch and see what happens.

You might be able to harvest the greens from it if it doesn't produce a bulb. The neat part of making 'mistakes' in the garden is that what you learn will forever be imprinted on your brain to learn and change your approach the next time. Makes one a much better gardener.

• farmermiller01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I tried the peroxide suggestion and it just wound up killing the garlics, like I mean picking them up by the leaves just slid out of the bulb.

I don't know if planting a small amount of mold is such a risk though since I also read elsewhere that other people who tried this had the mold disappear and the plant took off quickly.

Lucky for me lately the overnights in NY have been mild so far, tonight is about 47 degrees outside and the garlics seem to have adjusted so far after about 3 days. I didn't put them all out yet but once a week I add another 6.

• lufeng
    12 years ago

hi,everybody, nice day!

anyone who have an intention to import fresh garlic from China? we are factory of garlic and onion and chili.
    Name: China lufeng food science&tecnology co.,ltd.
    mail: lufeng-1@lfspkj.com
    www.lufengkeji.cn

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES