Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_gardening

Which onions for East Tennessee

tn_gardening
12 years ago

Seems I'm USDA Hardiness Zone 7a

I'd like to grow some large bulb onions.

The local garden supply store has Bonnie plants and they aren't really making it easy for me because they have 3 or 4 different Bonnie onions for sale right now. Some short day Texas sweet, Georgia sweet and some long day Walla Walla bunches for sale and a couple other varieties.

Outside of getting 3 or 4 different types and experimenting (I might still do that), does anybody want to chime in on what might give me the best odds of harvesting some large onions this Fall?

Comments (10)

• claydirt
    12 years ago

Tennessee seems to be at the northern edge for short day and center for intermediate day onion "zones". So you may want to avoid the Walla Walla. You can't go wrong with intermediate. And you should be able to grow the Texas sweet, Georgia sweet. (In central Indiana I grow Candy onions which are intermediate. They are great, but I haven't figured out how to grow them BIG yet.)

If I were you, I'd suggest an intermediate. If you have room for two kinds, make the second a short day. You can always try different ones next year, that's what I am still doing.

• planatus
    12 years ago

I start my onions from seed, and some of the biggest I've grown have been Patterson. The Johnny's catalog does a good job of recommending latitude limits, then you can shop varieties from there. I get the best onions by growing long-days that aren't for the far north. In good years I can get Long Red Tropea really big -- not good storage onions, but my favorite for eating. I keep experimenting mostly because it takes me 3 years to use up a packet of seed and this year I bought a new supply. Trying White Wing and a couple of others from Fedco.

• tn_gardening
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the wife came home with some Texas sweet sets. I think they are short day. The fellow said to use a high phosphorus fertilizer, so I guess I'm going to grab some bone meal.

Any other thoughts?

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Texas Sweets are typically White Granex. Short day type. Remember that an onion is basicly a leaf vegetable. They need an abundance of nitrogen to grow large. The onion bulb is a collection of the leaves modified base. The more and larger the leaves the bigger the onion.
    {{gwi:112084}}

• claydirt
    12 years ago

tn_gardening, congratulations on the onion choice. Lots of good advice here. You may want to look at the Dixondale Farm web site for their onion planting guide. It helps some with understanding the fertilizer.

• gravestone22
    12 years ago

you seem to be right on the line of day short vs day long onions. i recommend candy, it is day neutral, very sweet and stores very well.

• tn_gardening
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update:

2012 Fail
    2013 Fail

I got lots of good, green growth, but my biggest onion was about the size of a ping pong ball.

I swear, I can't figure this onion stuff out.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

East Tennessee you should be able to grow either long or intermediate day onions to size at least in the counties along the Virginia border. I southwest Virginia I had excellent results with Spanish types. Short day onions are for growing in the winter. Work fine here in Georgia. Had a cool wet summer this year and had a good crop of Spanish type (Golden Grande) but usually it gets to hot in June July for them to do much. short day onions are harvested in April and May and thus avoid the heat. White Granex is not a large onionbut grown in winter makes a decent onion.
    {{gwi:85126}} {{gwi:359940}} {{gwi:101468}}

• seysonn
    10 years ago

As Farmerdill pointed out earlier to you, onions are LEAFY vegetables, thus need a lot of nitrogen(+water).
    I have planted Texas Sweet. They were about golf ball size for me too.

NOW of course, our discussion will not bear any fruits.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996