Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_lorne

Let the 2010 Season begin

m_lorne
14 years ago

To me onions and leeks represent a rool boost to the spirit because seeding them means spring is just around the corner. Last year I had to delay the seeding until March due to moving locations, but this year I have started them "on time". Last night planted my Copra onions and my Varna leeks. In two to three weeks, the Rossa di Milano onions and Bandit leeks will be started.

A question to everyone:

I had a few onions starting to sprout in storage, so I thought I would replant them in pots to see if I can get them to seed. What do you think the chances are?

Getting the roots to grow (January 25):

{{gwi:359992}}

Potted up (a week later):

{{gwi:359993}}

Growing nicely (February 9):

{{gwi:359994}}

Thanks,

Michael

Comments (6)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I think that they will. I have done with a few myself.
    Instead of throwing them away, plant them.
    That is how you get onions seeds, generally.

Go ahead and transplant them in the garden when the ground is no longer is frozen. Don't worry about freez or frost

• promethean_spark
    14 years ago

Actually, seed producers usually start seed in late summer and overwinter the plants. If they're bigger than 3/16" diameter for the coldest part of winter they'll think they're on their second year and flower that spring. That way they go from seed to seed in about 10 months. I think this is the only way to get seed from onions that don't store well.

I have some onions that I leave in the ground year after year to produce seed. They usually divide into 2 to 4 new bulbs and produce a LOT of seed.

Having them in pots will make it easier to isolate the plants if you have several varieties.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Interesting, promethean.
    My seedin onions are already growing out in the cold.
    Lastyear (Jan 09) I planted these very small seed onions. Obviously they wintered. In the spring time some of them flowered(mostly red ones) but most did not. I actually collected some seeds from those.
    I think seed onions were bigger than 3/16", maybe good 1/4".
    So that tells me that biggers seed onions might get confused. Nice to know.
    I have planted some seed onions this past December, some two weeks ago and I will plant some more next week. This way I will have a rough experiment to find out which timing does better.
    ALL I CAN SAY IS THIS; INTERNET IS GREAT. I WONDER HOW AND WHAT DID THE GARDENERS DO BEFORE INTERNET!!!

• promethean_spark
    14 years ago

Follow the advice on the seed packet I guess. It used to be that almost everyone with a yard gardened so it was easy to pass down through the generations and neighborhood with rules of thumb like 'transplant x when y blooms, sow z when y comes up, plant A on valentines day, B on easter...'

Of course seed packets usually don't have much in the way of advice on propagation. Nowadays you can google up and read publications from the agriculture departments at universities about how a crop is optimally grown in your state.

I double-checked and I was wrong about 3/16", it's actually 3/8" diameter that is the size that will bolt if exposed to cold. Got the 3 right. ;)

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

cyrus,

I think the answer to your question is much simpler than you may think. Gardeners in the past grew up with parents and grandparents who were gardeners/farmers. They knew what to do when it was their garden, because they had seen it done, or done it for about 15-20 years. The problem that many of us face is that we are doing it all for the first time, on our own, without anyone (besides the internet) to turn to for advice.

In the old days, if you didn't learn this stuff you wouldn't eat! Nowadays, there isn't that type of pressure!

• maps31
    14 years ago

OK
    let me get this straight
    I was given drumstick allium and being new to this and all, started in in starter flats as I read they were pretty to flower. in less then 4 days I have sprouts and I had to uncover it today and will figure something else out for late...
    unless....
    I can go ahead and plant it...like today

please please help

Maps31@yahoo.com

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor