Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onion or Shallot?? SAME?

Posted by andrewtheplanter 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 10:09

Howdy,

I am about to grow onions and don't know how to grow them.
Does is a shallot grow into a onion? are they the same? how would you grow an onion then? Seeds? Bulbs?

Andrew
Thanks for suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onion or Shallot?? SAME?

Andrew,

While both are in the Allium family, onions and shallots are very different and behave very differently. Shallots are normally started from small bulbs while onions can be started from seed, small bulbs (sets) or plants. I know very little about zone 10 but I'd guess that if you're going to be planting onions at this time, I'd recommend going with plant starts since seed is going to take too long.

You might want to start by checking out the information on a site like www.dixondalefarms.com and see if you're already too late for your spring planting.

o
RE: Onion or Shallot?? SAME?

We have a garlic farm in zone 7 and grow alot of shallots too. We plant in the fall when we plant garlic. I beleive it would be too hot for the shallots if you planted them now. You plant shallots much the same as you would garlic but give them more space 8". They will multiply. For planting shallots choose medium size bulbs that are not deviding for best results. (we always use sets not seed)
We don't grow onions)
The Garlic Lady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here