Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garliclady_gw

Pictures of our garlic

garliclady
18 years ago

I have never posted pictures here but often wanted to. I could never seem to get them to post. I now have a photo album filled with pictures of our garlic field and more from our place (curing racks , festival pictures , harvest)

The Garlic Lady

Here is a link that might be useful: Our garlic

Comments (10)

• negi
    18 years ago

Nice photos, great setup as well. And I thought I had the safest place from vampires.
    -Bob

• coho
    18 years ago

Very well organized.
    coho

• tonitime
    18 years ago

Great photo slideshow,GL! Your Garlic Princess is so adorable........teething on garlic will make a great story for future suitors ;-)

• snappybob
    18 years ago

Nice setup. How many acres do you farm? That's what I plan to do when I retire. I have the land but not the time right now. I like your webpage also. I saved it to my favorites and will visit it often. Thanks for the slideshow.

• garliclady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Toni I wish I had gotten a picture of her the day she was teething on Garlic scapes! Boy did I sell alot of those that day.
    Snappy Bob we have 13 acres currently but only 4 acres are cleared fields and not all of them in production at one time.
    The garlic field is less than an acre but we we have alot planted in that small area. We are adding some new fields and hopfully by next fall we will be ready to expand the garlic to at least double what we plant now .
    As for my website I have been working on it this winter and thanks for the input and keep checking it because I will add more as the crops come in.
    The garlic lady

• garlicgrower
    18 years ago

Very nice crop! I'll bet you have a better and longer growing season for garlic than we do here in New England.
    Best wishes
    Maryanne in WMass

• UncleJohn
    18 years ago

Howdy GL,

It was great to finally put a face on your setup; thanks!

I do have a few questions:

Looking at your lettuce beds I was struck by your row covers. What are the hoops made from, and how expensive are they? How wide are those beds, and how tall do the hoops end up standing?

I seem to remember that you spaced your garlic 6", but it looks like you mainly arrange it four cloves across, spaced about 8". Is this accurate?

Finally, I was struck by your strip bed arrangement. Due to Granite-State rocky soil, I have ended up using a series of strip beds both in-ground and raised. Mine are 4' across and tend to be about 32' long. Do you have any recommendations for this mode of gardening, particularly for garlic and onions?

Thanks!

• garliclady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The row cover hoops are made from 1" PVC (the thinnest) The Pvc was not cut so they are 9 or 10'. The beds are 4' wide . The height of the hoops are 42' on a 4' bed. They were fastened with pipe strap. This is a very cheap set up!
    I do space them 6" apart but the beds in these pictures are less than 4' We now plant most of our garlic 6 wide across in a 4' bed. Most of our beds are about 150' long . For spacing I use a planting board . I do space Elephant garlic and shallots 8" apart.
    The garlic lady

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:360051}}

• fventura
    17 years ago

Great photos. I'm looking to expand our growing area also.
    How do you irrigate the garlic rows? I didn't see anything in the pictures?

• garliclady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We rarely have to irrigate. When we do we just use a sprinkler (the type that does a 360 and is on a tripod). It is just run on a regular hose and well. We thought we might have to irrigate this week because it has been dry but we got alot of rain in the last few days . Some years we never have to irrigate. (having less water in June when we harvest is usually a bigger problem for us.)