Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
got garlic in december..don't know what to do now

Posted by karendee 5Wst. of ChicagoI (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 13, 11 at 13:03

I got two heads in a swap in December. I was so happy but the ground is frozen her in December,

Can plant them in a container? Maybe wintersow them?

One is labeled Toch and one is labeled BC.

I have had them indoors since I got them with my seeds.

Any tips? I am new to planting garlic but I love it!!!

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: got garlic in december..don't know what to do now

Just get them into the garden as soon as the ground thaws. They will have enough time to do well. Spring planting is mainly bad when you delay putting them out because it cuts down on the number of cool days that the plant has to grow before bulbing. Cool temps actually promote sprouting so you could put them into a refrigerator for a couple of weeks previous to when you think you can get them in the ground.

o

I will follow your directions.

thanks so much!!
Karen

o

By the way, as the person who sent you those garlics, "Toch" is Tochliavri and "BC" is Broadleaf Czech (you must have lost my note).

Don't know much about growing garlic in zone 5, though, so I hope they do ok for you. My ground is NEVER frozen!

o

Zone 5 here, get the cloves in the ground as soon as you can, fall planting is best but very early spring planting will give you an okay crop too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here