Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Fresh Garlic

Posted by homegardenpa PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 13:45

Ok, so I'm totally new to growing garlic, but I've already reached some level of success in that I see all of the cloves (Siberian) I planted last fall popping through the mulch; Although, I was a little scared at first since there's still snow on the ground, but they seem to be fine somehow.

From what I've read and seen from grower's in my area, I should be able to harvest sometime around late June / July. My question is this:

Will I be able to use some of the garlic immediately or does it need to be 100% cured before it will be good to use?

If so, assuming a harvest date of early July, when would the earliest I could use the garlic?

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Fresh Garlic

"Will I be able to use some of the garlic immediately or does it need to be 100% cured before it will be good to use?"

You can use it immediately if you want. Curing is only done to make sure that it stores well.

"If so, assuming a harvest date of early July, when would the earliest I could use the garlic?"

As soon as you wash off the dirt.

o

Awesome, thanks so much for the reply. So far, I'm loving the process of growing garlic - and the fact that I can make use of my garden in the fall, winter, and very early spring when it would usually be barren. There's still some snow on the ground and I already see my garlic coming to life, it gives me delusions that may, just maybe, spring isn't too far off.

If my harvest is good, I'll add another variety or two to the list and start growing some onions as well. My understanding is that of garlic and onions, garlic is the easier one in my season / climate - so I wanted to start there first.

Thanks again.

o

I think uncured garlic tastes a little different, though. And the cloves might not come apart very easily because the wrappers between them haven't dried out yet (if they come apart at all).

It's tasty, though. Just might not be what you're used to.

o

Garlics can be used just like onions at different stages.
At younger stage you would use it just like scallions, green onions, from top to bottom. They sell them like that in Asian markets all the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here