Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Bulbils Indoors?

Posted by calendulamoon Vermont (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 1, 09 at 15:45

Hello,
I was given some Bulbils at a seed exchange yesterday and am now trying to figure out the best way to proceed.I know garlic is usually planted in the fall, but since it is already Februrary:
1. Should I wait to plant them in the Spring or should I start them indoors? I am wondering about starting them indoors because some are already sprouting and perhaps it would give them a head start since the growing season is so short here. My concern with planting them indoors however, is that they might get too disturbed when I transplant them outside.
2.If indoors, how long before last frost should I start them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Bulbils Indoors?

Garlic is a perennial plant. It can be started and grown any time of the year, though some times may not be the best to start. I would recommend starting indoors then transplanting outdoors after last frost or, you can keep the bulbils and start them outside after last frost, if you want to, even though garlic does not suffer from shock as much as other plants. They will still grow. Garlic takes about 8 months to mature, so be patient.

o

Or, you can start your garlic plant inside in a small pot, and keep it in the pot to mature as a house plant. The greens are eatable, too.

o

Thank you! I will start them inside now and plant some out and keep others as a house plant.

o

I planted walking onion bulbils in pots today. I was given a shoe box full.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here