Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your onion seedlings...

Posted by AiliDeSpain 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 15:48

Hi all.
These are 5 week old redwing onion seedlings. This is my first time growing from seed so wanted to compare other sizes of seedlings to make sure they are on track. All of the research I have done on transplants shows the onions to be green onion size at transplant time which for me will be 3-5 weeks. Can they really grow that much more in that time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your onion seedlings...

Your onions won't be scallion sized at transplant time but that's fine, they don't have to be.
That said, your onions at 5 weeks do seem to be a bit on the small size. My first thought by looking at the pic is that the soil looks dry. Onions don't like their soil to dry out and unlike most other plants, they won't show it by wilting.
I'd think making sure they are watered regularly and maybe give them some fish emulsion or your choice of mild fertilizer will help them pick up the pace.

I can get you a pic of my 4 week seedlings tomorrow if you want.

-Mark

o

Mark,
Yes please post a pic for comparison. They do look dry in the pic. I took before i watered. I do make sure they stay moist but don't want to over water either. I have not fertilized yet though. How often should I be doing that?

o

If you use fish emulsion, follow mixing instructions on the bottle. If you think they need it, you can feed every other week or more. There is no "right" way to fertilize as all potting soils have different amounts of nutrients. Watch for any yellowing as a sign that they need it and keep the moisture level constant, but not overly wet.

I don't suggest it, but If you choose to use some chemical based fertilizer, be careful to follow recommended amounts or even less. It's easy to burn plants with that stuff.

Below is a pic of my seedlings which were planted Feb. 1st. Sorry, it's not the easiest to see.
The don't seem much bigger than yours, but look at the second leaf on each plant and try to use that as a guide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here