Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting garlic now in Zone 5b

Posted by tomswpa Z5b (tomforlife@comcast.net) on
Mon, Feb 4, 08 at 16:42

I didn't get around to planting garlic last fall. I've planted it as late as early December here in zone 5b with good results. Its been so warm here (64 F tomorrow), that the ground is not frozen and I'd be able to plant it some day this week. Will heads form by late summer?

Can anyone explain why its necessary to plant garlic in the fall in cold winter areas in order for it to form heads the following summer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting garlic now in Zone 5b

You can still plant garlic. If you get out and plant right now, it'll be better than if you planted tomorrow.

There's a thread from the other day called ---> Is it *truly* too late to plant Garlic? <--- That thread I think answers your questions.

o
RE: Planting garlic now in Zone 5b

Garlic planted now will form heads, but they will be smaller than if planted in the Fall.

When garlic cloves are planted, the first thing they do is put down roots to feed from the soil, then put up leaves to feed from sunshine. When you plant in the Fall, temperatures are mild enough for the root system to get established and the leaves to start before being slowed by the cold Winter. When temperatures moderate in the Spring, growth resumes and the leaves become large early, feeding the bulb. Since the roots and leaves had a good head start, larger bulbs develop by Summer.

TomNJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here