Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrels attacking garlic

Posted by tn_veggie_gardner 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 16:47

They are also attacking my garlic chives (but I don't believe that's considered an allium). I have had a handful of suggestion on how to deter them, most of which require reapplying after rain. Has anyone else out there had problems with squirrels digging up their garlic? They seem to just dig it up, then leave it untouched on the surface of the soil, which pisses me off even more b/c it messes with the roots and is probably stunting the growth each time it's done! I just figured i'd drop a line/thread in this forum to see if any fellow allium growers have a solid method for keeping them away from your beds/pots/etc..

Thanks! - Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrels attacking garlic

Hi Steve, iam not sure how my garlic has fared as of yet, it is still under several feet of snow, iam in New Hampshire/Zone 5, but i do know that soon after i had planted some shallots last fall, and before i had them mulched, squirrels, iam sure, took off with most of them, they were not to be found anywhere in the vicinity of the garden, someone had mentioned perhaps putting some sort of netting or screening over the area until the bulbs have been established, but iam not sure if that would work in every case, such as yours..i can sympathize with you!

o
RE: Squirrels attacking garlic

Wow, then ran off with them? That stinks! lol...Probably buried them somewhere else thinking they were a nut of some sorts. Not a bad idea to use some sort of netting. I will deffinitely keep that in mind. Thanks! - Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here