Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant shallot sets?

Posted by tarkovsky2002 z8 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 17:01

Yesterday, I planted 60 shallot sets. I reasoned that since my local hardware store just started selling them, then it must be the right time to plant. (Very naieve, I know.) However, upon consulting with Google, it seems that planting shallots in the fall is the norm in NC. Are my shallots a lost cause? Am I just going to have to be content with green onions and cut my loses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant shallot sets?

• Posted by negi 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 22:18

You will probably be ok. There is a good chance that the big shallots will make lots of tiny shallots the first year anyway. The tiny shallots then become big shallots the next year. The trick is finding the shallot that produces and survives under your conditions year after year. Most shallots have a two year growth cycle anyway. The only real issue to me is if a cold snap hurts them since they were just planted.
-Bob

o
RE: Too late to plant shallot sets?

Im from NC zone 7 . I think you will be fine . We planted ours late this year (Jan 1st) and they are up. As long as we don't skip spring this year and don't get July temps in May as happens some years you should be fine. Our fall planted shallots are usually harvested mid to late June but I would think if we have good weather(not too hot) and you keep them watered in the late spring early summer maybe you will get a later harvest time and they will have a chance to grow some more. Good luck the garlic lady.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here