Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinia_gw

overwintering onions

Zinia
15 years ago

Hi,

I want to be able to "hold" onions in the ground during the winter. We are able to hold carrots over the entire winter in the ground and pull them as we need them.

I'm not picky about the variety. We are eating more onions these days to help husband's cholesterol problem (doing other things other than just onions). We love onions baked, stewed with summer squash, in vegetable stir fry, soup, .... We like leeks and might try them next fall.

If the above is not possible, what variety of onion would grow well in my area, which is near Raleigh, NC z7b, and will have a small neck, not rot in storage of my basement, and not sprout fast? Since I want to store the onions over the winter, how should I time the planting -- maybe it would be better to start transplants as late as possible to delay harvest and therefore extend the storage period?

Note: This is a garden to decrease my family's food expense. I have 2 teenagers who like to eat.

I have more experience growing other vegetables. I know little about onion growing.

If someone can fully explain what I should do, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thank you,

zinia

Comments (3)