Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering onions

Posted by zinia z7NC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 17:05

Hi,
I want to be able to "hold" onions in the ground during the winter. We are able to hold carrots over the entire winter in the ground and pull them as we need them.
I'm not picky about the variety. We are eating more onions these days to help husband's cholesterol problem (doing other things other than just onions). We love onions baked, stewed with summer squash, in vegetable stir fry, soup, .... We like leeks and might try them next fall.
If the above is not possible, what variety of onion would grow well in my area, which is near Raleigh, NC z7b, and will have a small neck, not rot in storage of my basement, and not sprout fast? Since I want to store the onions over the winter, how should I time the planting -- maybe it would be better to start transplants as late as possible to delay harvest and therefore extend the storage period?
Note: This is a garden to decrease my family's food expense. I have 2 teenagers who like to eat.
I have more experience growing other vegetables. I know little about onion growing.
If someone can fully explain what I should do, I'd appreciate the advice.
Thank you,
zinia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering onions

I planted 8 pounds onions sept.5.Ground thawed 3 days ago and have been using the scallions daily.My leeks were planted in garden may 28 and i pick whenever ground is not frozen.I have been doing this for at least 10 years.Good luck.

o

Thanks baygrower. That seems like a lot of onions to eat. My plan is to continue experimenting in the garden and the kitchen. We have $1.50 in onion sets from Walmart out in the garden. I bought a bundle of transplants at a local garden center. With the transplants, I'm going to try to get them to bulb. The business provided a direction sheet on growing onions, so I am being careful to follow instructions, to see if they will actually size up. If things don't go right, I can still cook what grows, puree and put in soup. One of the girls hates the texture of the onion pieces.
zinia

o

I store the sets not eaten as scallions, and use as broiler size- i like them cooked soft in cream.I have large extended family in area and as long as nothing is wasted, but yeah that 8 pounds would be alot for couple people.My seeds have sprouted and these will be my large storage onions for winter.I plant them in compost mixed with garden topsoil and bonemeal as fertilizer.Have been lucky with onion flys lately, but i tend to plant every few weeks( 1/3 at a time) if i get infestations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here