Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texas Sweet is it Long, Indeterminate or Short?

Posted by ourhappyhome 7b Georgia (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 08 at 17:26

I purchased Bonnie "white" onion plants from my local Walmart (Georgia). I contacted Bonnie and they said the variety is Texas Sweet, but they were unsure as to whether they are a long, short or indeterminate day variety. Anyone in my region of the country grown these? Do you happen to know what day length they are? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texas Sweet is it Long, Indeterminate or Short?

Dixondale Farms lists Texas Super Sweet as a short day variety (see http://www.dixondalefarms.com/category/short_day_onions). Not sure if it is the same, but I would expect a variety having Texas in its name to be a short day.

TomNJ

o

If you got a Bonnie onion plant in Georgia, They label every thing "Sweets", but if you look on the end of the shipping crate they specify the cultivar. The only whites I have seen in this area from Bonnie are the White Granex hybrid, a short day cultivar.

o

Just think about the Land of the Midnight Sun Which is any land north of the Artic Circle. So that is Long Day. Gardeners use the Ohio River or Mason-Dixon Line as the divider for south and intermediate regions.
But it is night that counts not day. So If you are growing a plant Turn on a light for one hour at midnight if you want a summer growth response. Recall Crysantheums grow in the summer, but the long nights of fall trigger flowers. So when I want no flowers but lots of stem cuttings to sell during the spring, I turn on a hundred watt bulb every 8 feet apart each directions for an hour or two at midnight.
Harold Eddleman, Indiana Biolab. 30 miles west of Louisville KY

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here