Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant?

Posted by snowflake-rosa 8 Coastal MS (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 19:20

Hello! I've been wanting to plant alliums around my roses since I read that they repel thrips. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find allium bulbs in the past. I found some today but they said to plant in the fall. I know that many of the 'rules' of horticulture are made to be broken. That being said, is it absolutely too late to plant the alliums? We've been having warm days and cool nights here. Would they come up for summer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant?

There are many "allium" plants, what exactly are you asking about ? this is like me going to a lumber yard and asking for some wood.

o
RE: Too late to plant?

• Posted by grandad usu-9a LA/Sunt28 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 15:43

Snowflake-Rosa, unless they are very expensive, I think I would plant them and find out. Your intentions appear to be for pest control and not for harvest. It might work as you desire or maybe not. Your experiment will provide information for future reference. (Alternatively, you may want to wait in hopes that someone else who has done this experiment will respond.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here