Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it worth saving my left over Allium bulbs?

Posted by s0uth3rncom4rt none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 23:04

I have a good number of allium bulbs (purple and white) that I was unable to find space for in my garden in the Fall. Now that spring is almost here, I don't know if it's worth the trouble of storing them until their proper planting time.

I guess my questions are...

1. Can I still plant them somewhere else? I don't have much room, but I may be able to squeeze them in somewhere.

2. How should I store them? I store my tender perennial roots in peat in a dark area of my unheated basement. Would this work for alliums as well?

3. If I do store them, will they be any good in the fall?

Any insight give would be great. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it worth saving my left over Allium bulbs?

"1. Can I still plant them somewhere else? I don't have much room, but I may be able to squeeze them in somewhere."

If the bulbs are still alive, you can plant them. You can plant them in pots if there is no room in the garden.

"2. How should I store them? I store my tender perennial roots in peat in a dark area of my unheated basement. Would this work for alliums as well?"

It is generally recommended that you store in the same manner that you store onions and garlic. However, they can be frozen as well, if the bulbs are cold-hardy. This may not be important to you, since they should only be frozen if you plan on planting them in the spring. The freezing simulates a winter outside. This is useful if you didn't get them planted in the fall.

"3. If I do store them, will they be any good in the fall?"

If you left them unplanted until the fall, I highly doubt if they would survive that long, but maybe they would.

o

I would plant them out in the spring anyway. I doubt they will last if left unplanted until fall. I have done this with many other bulbs that one would typically plant in the fall such as tulips or daffs. I have not had any problems.

You may as well plant them and see what happens. Odds are they won't last if not planted.

o

1-what kind of Allium do you have ?
2- If onions, then you can find a spot to plant them real close, say one every one inch. You then thin, pull and use them as scallions/green onions. This way in one square foot you can plant 144 of them (12 x 12 = 144)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here