Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailidespain

Onions wilting after planting

AiliDeSpain
11 years ago

Hello everyone.
The extension center in my area suggests planting out onion transplants as early as Mar 15, given that our weather is in the 60's I decided to plant 1/3 of my redwing hybrid 8 week old onion seedlings out into one of my beds. The bed was prepared with 2 inches of mixed in compost and granular fertilizer. I planted at the correct spacing then watered in. All of my little guys wilted and fell over. It was partially cloudy today and they were hardened off for two weeks before planting out. Will they perk up?
Please share your experiences.

Comments (9)

• planatus
    11 years ago

They will probably perk up in a few days, but it might be good to cover them with a row cover tunnel to filter sun and block wind for a couple of weeks. Fair weather is not here to stay yet.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I keep looking for signs they are going to make it...a few are trying to perk up, for the most part they look very sad.

• planatus
    11 years ago

If memory serves me correctly, this is how I learned an important lesson in patience. Nothing like losing plants to make you slow down. Until this week, there has not been enough light to support strong growth of skinny little onion seedlings around here.

My onion and shallot seedlings started in January are just starting to bulk up by growing stiffer, darker leaves. I like them to be really well rooted and growing vigorously before I set them out in early April.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Agreed. I still have other seedlings in pots that I will wait to get stronger before planting out.

• Mark
    11 years ago

I agree they should probably perk up, but i'm wondering why they wilted so much. I would guess you had trouble separating the plants, and tore some roots when transplanting?

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mark,
    I think it was that and the fact that the day after I planted them our temps shot up 20 degrees, they hadn't been exposed to such intense heat from the sun. Now I'm scared to plant the others. LOL

• Mark
    11 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much. I never even hesitate to transplant onions in hot weather as they seem to be about the most tolerant transplants I know of.

That little bulb at the base continues to feed the top, so even if they get mowed down or wilt, they usually grow out of it.

When you transplant next time, use water to rinse the soil from the roots and they'll separate easier. Then you can keep the plants in a cup of water (add some fish emulsion if you want) while you transplant. Irrigate deeply after, and you should have no problem next time.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips!

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My onions are goners. There are only two out of 18 plants still alive. We had snow and a hard freeze over the weekend and the ones that were just barely hanging on bit the dust. Good think I have back ups! I learned a valuable lesson in patience :)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia