Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhubarb_stalker

confused about shallots

rhubarb_stalker
14 years ago

Not a new gardener, but new to shallots this year.

If I start shallot seeds indoors and transplant them into the garden, at harvest will I just get one bulb per seed? Or will I get little bulblets also?

I'm growing the Picador variety which is a hybrid. Can someone recommend a non-hybrid variety which I can grow from seed which will enable me to use the resulting bulblets as sets.

Comments (10)

• novelist
    14 years ago

Shallots grown from seed will result in a single shallot bulb being formed. You can use that shallot bulb, or replant it and that single bulb will turn into multiple cloved shallots.

So, you don't need to get a type that will seed if you can wait two seasons. You can just replant this year's crop and get multiple shallots next year.

• rhubarb_stalker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is the part that confuses me: if the bulb was formed from a hybrid seed, will the resulting multiple cloved shallots be true to type. I don't fully understand the hybrid part of the equation.

• woodyguthriefan
    14 years ago

Anybody have a Punnett Square handy? My opinion: If the shallots are asexually propogated then they will be identical genetically to the parent plant barring a genetic mutation(very, very rare). If the shallots are sexually propagated then the next generation of seeds will only contain genes from the mother and father. The physical characteristics of a specific plant(phenotype) don't necessarily equate to the total genes(genotype) the plant contains. There may be a recessive gene that does not express itself unless the parent breeds with another parent with that same recessive gene. Then the off-spring may exhibit that recessive genetic trait, such as a black rose or a blue tulip. I really have a rudimentary understanding of the breeding of plants but I think gene pairs and chromosomes can have genetic connections with other genes and different chromosomes. For example, a pretty flower may also be very fragrant Another example is that a bright red apple may also be very sweet even though different genes control the qualities/characteristics of color of fruit and sweetness. If the plants are not grown in a totally controlled environment it is virtually impossible to know the source of pollen for certain without doing genetic testing. Luther Burbank is a very interesting person to read if you enjoy breeding plants(or not).

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

As long as you are dealing with the bulbs, hybridzation does not come into the equation. You only have to be concerned if you let them flower and save the seeds. Planting and replanting the bulbs gives you a clone of the original plant.

• rhubarb_stalker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all those helpful replies. I think I've got it straight now.

• nann0n
    14 years ago

I have some shallots that I want to grow. How do I get them to shoot? Should I just plant them out? Can I plant them into small-ish pots and transplant them when they start growing? I won't be starting from seeds.

I also get summer tropical rains here and it gets very hot and humid. If I manage to get my shallots to grow (over the very mild winter) should I pull them out for the summer and store them in my pantry to avoid rot or will they be fine left in the garden? It rains pretty much every day for two to three months with heat over 90F and very high humidity.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

There is no need to plant garlics in pot.
    direct planting is best. You take the best cloves and
    plant them one by one, such that the tip is pointing up.
    The depth should be such that the tip can be seen.

BUT, in zone 11, it is too late to plant garlics now, unless you want to
    use them green.

• nann0n
    14 years ago

Green garlic is ok.
    Autumn (Fall) has just started here which is time to plant most things, it is too hot to grow anything really in Summer.

When should I be planting garlic here in Australia (does any one know)?

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

OK! I did not notice that you are in the southern
    hemispher. So it is fall over there and time to plant
    garlics. GOOD LUCK!

• pippimac
    14 years ago

Sorry OP for going OT...nann0n, plant March or April in Qld.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths