Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I planted my store bought green onion roots

Posted by mamabear2 z4/5Bk HillsSD (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 10:20

Forgive me if this is a topic that has been discussed. I haven't read throught all of the posts on this forum. I planted the roots of my store bought green onions(in a small starter pack in the house) and they are all sending up shoots. I am curious if anyone else has done this. Will they be healthy and as tasty? I'm ready to start planting every root I cut off and setting them in the garden when it's safe to set them out. We eat a ton of these each week and it would be fun to step outside and get some fresh ones. I suppose this could be too time consuming with all of the other tasks we have in the summer but sounds like a good idea now when I'm dreaming of spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I planted my store bought green onion roots

• Posted by negi 8b (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 27, 06 at 13:22

Leeks and onions do fine this way. For me 1.5" of bottom grows back usually within a month depending on the season.
Bob

o

Another gardenwebber posted about his experiance with planting green onions from the store.

~Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting grocery store green onions

o

The green onion roots I planted from grocery onions are doing better than the onion transplants I put in the ground at the same time.

o

I planted my store bought red onion that had some shoots. Now it has long green shoots and one is longer with an onion shaped tiny top. IS that a flower? Will it indicate when a new onion will form as 2 "daughter" plants have sprouted beside the mother onion, I planted. Wondering what is growing..jsut scallions or onions to harvest later? Anyone know? thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here