Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shallots outdoors and onions indoors?

Posted by imtoobusy z6bMD (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 10:21

Last year I got sets for everything and this year I decided to go with seed. Can someone tell me if I am on the right track?

I planted the shallot seeds last Friday outdoors in 4" wide rows, seeds are sprinkled with a target of about 3/4 inch between them. The onions (red bulb "mars", bunching "oasis" and red mini "amethyst", were all planted in cell packs with 4-6 per cell (as per "the new organic grower" by Eliot Colemann). None of the onion seeds have germinated yet. I put them off to the side in a 70 room so they weren't getting a lot of heat or light. Since I saw no germination I have just moved them over the heat, close to the window.

I am assumming that the shallots will be very small this year and I should save some of the bulbs to plant next year (or should it be next fall?)?

Thank you for any and all comments!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shallots outdoors and onions indoors?

I plan to try and grow shallots from seeds here. Soon, the weather will clear enough so that I can plant them directly outside in a long single row spaced about 3-4 inches apart. Not sure how long they take to mature, but suspect that they are about the same for most onions of the short day types. Should I also start these seeds indoors now? I also this only because the weather isn't yet warm enough to get most seeds to germinate yet.

o

I plant Shallots in the fall so if you get some from seed try planting sets this fall

o

ks
I think the seed shallots dtm is 100 days give or take.
Bill

o

I decided to plant them in small pots indoors now. The weather here is still too cold outside to plant. I figure that in a month, I should have a sizable growth in the pots and then they get transplanted. The package didn't say what was a maturity date, so the guess of 100 days may not be off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here