Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should have mulched differently

Posted by spiced_ham z5 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 11:15

I've spent the morning with a pitch fork pulling the winter leaf mulch off of my garlic and shallots to uncover the twisted yellow shoots underneath. Next year I'm going to mulch after the shoots come up (mulch around the shoots) rather than mulch right after planting. I won't bother spending the time to shred the leaves either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should have mulched differently

They will recover as they sit in the sun for a while.

I apply a 4" hay mulch at planting in November and the garlic grows right through it. Leaves have a tendency to mat unless chopped very fine. Chopped leaves mixed with grass clippings will be more porous.

TomNJ

o

Mulching garlics do not make sense to me.
In zone 5, for example, when frost line is 12" deep, mulch is not going to do anything as far as protecting from cold.
Garlics are like tulips, daffodiles, .. they are immune from freezing.

o

University Of Minnesota extension agency recommends Winter Mulch. Not to keep the garlic from freezing, but to keep it from freeze thaw cycles. This can happen daily in the right conditions in this area.

Curt :-)

o

as curt said its not to kepp them from freezing but to keep them frozen otherwise they will start to grow then get zapped with below zero weather happened to me last year same with tulips ect

o

For some of us the mulch is to conserve winter moisture, not because of freezing or thawing. When I put in the garlic, I water, then put on about 4 inches of pine straw. This winter has been unusually wet, with snow cover on the garlic beds from November through part of February. The snow cover has been gone for almost a month now, and the mulched beds are still nicely damp and the garlic coming up through the mulch.

Catherine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here