Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
onion seed failure

Posted by wolverine1012 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 12:02

We planted three different kinds of onion: candy, patterson, and claret. All were planted in a type of peat based potting soil mix that we have used to start all our other seeds for years. They were started in some aluminum pans with a soil depth of about 3". Initially we had the pans in the basement where it was cooler, but were getting no germination. We moved them upstairs into the warmth and germination was pretty uniform.

Being concerned that they were maybe getting too much light, we moved them back downstairs on heat mats and under grow lights which are on about 10 hours a day. Today it appears that practically all have died.

Any thoughts as to what might have gone wrong? Luckily, we've still got some seed that we were going to direct seed as a test to see how much the advance germination helped us. I guess I could still buy more seed, but I'd like to figure out what went wrong if I can.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: onion seed failure

I am not certain what caused your plants to die but I can offer some suggestions based on my experience.

I doubt your plants were getting too much light. Full sun would not be too much.

I consider 14 hours per day to be minimum for seedlings under grow lights.

Onions need to be started in January or early February. I think it's too late to start seed for this year, except maybe for scallions.

Jim

o

Any other thoughts on this? I know it's too late to start again this year, but I'd like to make corrections for next year.

o

Onions, being cold weather crops, need only moderate temperatures to germinate. I would say 65F. But once germinated and sprouted a bit, should be kept cooler than say,tomatoes, peppers etc. But they will need the light. I would say an unhited garage type of location would be good.
Once the seedlings are established, they can be planted in the garden AFTER HARDENNING THEM OFF. Obviously, if out side temperatures are very cold, they will not grow substantially but will survive frigit temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here