Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
onion bunches planting

Posted by zergas z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 12:22

Ok so i jumped the gun and my onion bunches from dixondale will arrive some time next week 7-9 march.
They say the onion will live off the bulb for up to 3 weeks if its too cold to plant...
My soil is not frozen and my temps for the next couple of weeks is highs of 40,s lows in the 20-25 range.
Is it to cold to plant my onions? AT what temps will the onions die?
will it help if i cover them with some transparent plastic 6 mill thickness?
Thank you in advance.
Dan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: onion bunches planting

Dan I guess you did jump the gun!!!!I'am in the U.P. of Mi. and we got 2 ft of snow and it was 28 below zero last night. I would wait as long as you can to plant. If you put clear plastic over them I think the sun would cook them as the sun is realy hot this time of the year. It got up to 15 degrees today and the icicles were dripping . If the plants were dry I would keep them cool and dry If they are damp or green I would put them in the fridg in the crisper. I have my onions from dixondale shipped the end of april. GOOD LUCK keep us posted
YOPPER

o
RE: onion bunches planting

wow i did not get 1 foot of snow combined all winter!
well i planted them all today weather forecast looks good...
been in the high 40's last 3 days, 55 for tomorrow and 60 for tuesday so i have high hopes lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here