Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What now?

Posted by Chubasco 6a/AZ (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 12:38

never had tried growing garlic, and being an avid forum reader, I planted some cloves from store bought (calif. white) garlic last Oct. They sprouted and have grown over the winter, even in freezing temps ( teens). I mulched with straw ( 3-4 inches) We had a wet winter and snow here in E central Az. zone 6/6a 5700' elev. The tops are now about 12 inches +-. I have not been able to start the water yet as we are still freezing in the AM. Sunny days in the 50's. Now my question: Do I just wait, start watering at risk of freeezing pipes, or what? Brent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What now?

No reason to hurry with the watering. California White is a softneck which is used to dry Mediterranean climates anyway. Whereas the rule of thumb for vegetables is an inch of rain per week, garlic seems to do well with half that. They do have a rather deep root system so they'll go looking for water if they need it. Two of my best garlic years were 2002 and 2003, drought summers. Garlic was low priority for the water buckets and the garlic loved it!

Martin

o

Just next door, you KNOW we're as dry as you!! Don't worry about it -- garlic is pretty tolerant of dry. How high are your daytime temps? Is there moisture left in the soil when you touch it? I think you've had a wet winter like us-- our garlic beds are SOAKED, I think we won't have to water until May even if it doens't rain another drop between now and then.

Kristen

o

Thanks, Martin and Kristen, I'll take your advice and do what I do best( nothing LOL) These garlic are in a raised bed with sandy/silty soil that has been augmented with composted bison manuer. As I said I mulched with 3-4" of straw before real cold Wx came in. My water system is from a well. I have an automatic timer for watering. Pipe is PVC but not buried deep, 6"or less. There are 8 different legs that take care of the garden ( 40'x60', 8 raised beds and 2 20x20' open areas, an orchard, 11 apples, 3 plums, 3 combo cherries and 3 apricots, a peach, and many ornamentals, roses, evergreens, cottonwoods etc. You can see the system is extensive and subject to freezing. I don't need to be repairing cracked pipes by turning on the water too soon.
Again thanks I've rambled too long.
Brent

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 6, 05 at 2:06

Next season, try growing some real garlic, ie. hardneck. I think you will never go back to Ca White.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here